Username Password: Remember me

Anyone have a spare Transponder?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA California North Region Website

nasanorcal.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone have a spare Transponder?

Anyone have a spare Transponder? 14 years, 1 month ago #7106

Okay, I'm determined to show up to Thunderhill in April for my first race. I want to do my first race at Thunderhill. I still need to get myself a transponder, and I'm really nervous about having the money for it. I'm an hourly employee at a private school, and they're closing for spring break. Missing 40 hours of work is going to make it really tough to get racing. But I'm going to do whatever it takes for this first race.

But if someone has a rechargeable transponder that I could use for one event, that would take a lot of financial pressure off of this month.

Re:Anyone have a spare Transponder? 14 years, 1 month ago #7107

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Is renting an option in Nor-Cal? I had to rent for the first couple seasons before I was able to get my own transponder.

Maybe schmooze your regional director and see if they'll offer a rent to own?

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Anyone have a spare Transponder? 14 years, 1 month ago #7109

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi Cameron,

If you're "going to do whatever it takes for this first race" then I'm obliged to help you.
I'll check with friends in other classes to see if they will be attending the April race because I want all of our NorCal 944-Spec racers to be there.
NASA TT has a limited number of transponders for rent but their TT guys have priority.
If all else fails you can listen to a experienced racer like Chris and schmooze your regional director.
I'm sure we can work out a rent to own plan.

btw- I'm not a big fan of the rechargable transponder.
Remembering to recharge your transponder, forgetting to bring your charger and/or transponder from your home or hotel, etc. is just another thing you to have to worry about.
We just pre-wire the transponder and the car with quick disconnects to move the transponder between cars.
--Ken

Re:Anyone have a spare Transponder? 14 years, 1 month ago #7110

I have a spare of the permanent wired kind but it is in my spares on the east coast. I'll email a friend and see if he can come up with it. If so, I'll re-post and let you guys know.

Mounting is really easy. There is a convenient place in front of the right front wheel to wire tie it and wire off the kill switch or battery with an inline fuse.

Only one rule if I can lend mine, no passing the green car

Re:Anyone have a spare Transponder? 14 years, 1 month ago #7111

Haha. Thanks guys. Rent-to-own sounds like a great plan for me.

For my first race, you'll probably be pretty safe on the "no passing the green car" front. I just want to get through my first race with everything intact. I'll be super happy if I can come in not-last.

Re:Anyone have a spare Transponder? 14 years ago #7148

www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&am...aea9545d07cdf730ae69

Someone is selling one for $325 locally in San Francisco.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics
  • Page:
Moderators: tcomeau
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds