Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10191

I went with a single SPAL fan. The biggest I could fit was 13" (limited by the height of the radiator. You can see it here: www.the-fan-man.com/shop/size-pull-part-...-p-204.html?cPath=33 This fan pulls more CFM's than stock, and draws less amps. It's nicely made, and should be very reliable.

My stock fans melted a 25 amp relay (had one relay for each fan), nearly costing me our endurance series championship last year. The fans I had were pretty ratty, so I decided to go with a new fan, instead of buying another used set of unknown quality.

I'll post back with how it goes...
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10192

I also have a single Spal fan. I believe it is 13" which fits perfectly to the turbo radiator. It is the medium profile fan and only weighs 3 Lbs.

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10193

Thanks guys. I hadn't measured yet. I assumed the radiator was bigger than that. 13" it is. We'll have to see if I even need it.

Just got a lower 71 degree C thermostat. (Stock is 82) I'm going to drill 3 1/4" holes in the flat face of it. This will allow more water to flow to the radiator with out increasing the flow rate to the point that the water doesn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool. It's an old trick that still works well for lowering temps.

-bj

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10195

I have the turbo radiator which is taller than the N/A. The 13" fan fits right up against the fins, perfectly between the upper and lower tanks. You should measure the N/A radiator if that is what you have.

Also, if you haven't had the radiator out yet, I'll bet money it is FULL of dirt and debris from road use. You wouldn't believe what comes out of those things.

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10196

On my N/A radiator, it does not quite sit on the fins, but right on the structural surround of the radiator. This makes it sit maybe 1cm off of the fins. I have a very small shroud around the edges of the fan to keep the efficiency up.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Post Race Problems & Weight Reduction 13 years, 4 months ago #10197

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I did not run a fan all last year. We regularly see 100+ degrees in Ca during the summer. If the system is working properly then it is a non issue. Open the hood after run sessions and it cools down plenty fast.
Saves at least 15 lbs off the front of the car. Right where you don't want it.

Of course you do have to pay attention to temps in the Pitts.

I use a stock radiator and t-stat with large oil cooler.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion