Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Fresh air system
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Fresh air system

Re: Fresh air system 13 years, 3 months ago #10655

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Joe, your suggestions regarding steps to help with fire issues are, of course, good and all should use them. I have two fire system nozzles under the hood that are pointed there.

However, that does not address my new concern about fire and smoke on the passenger side being drawn into an air intake system and that is the most likely place to have either fire or smoke due to the location of the fuel rail, oil filter/cooler and exhaust (the ignition source). It just seems to me that getting air from the drivers side is the safest option given the way our cars are built and I would like to explore how we can/should do that.

Clearly, getting fresh air from outside of the car is the best option for an air system. Any fire will likely cause smoke to come into the car through any openings in the floor/fire wall/passenger window areas so taking air from inside the car is not the best option. In addition, if there is any exhaust fumes that come into the car, using interior air is, again, a poor choice. Our cars are known to have exhaust issues. I know that Tim tapes the rear hatch seal with race tape due to exhaust fumes.

The question is how do we do it given the fire and smoke danger at the passenger window that we did not understand until recently? My new 2010 helmet has a top forced air provision that I want to implement. The question is how to do it in the safest way possible.

Clearly, this is a safety issue and not a performance issue. How do we solve it?

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Fresh air system 13 years, 3 months ago #10656

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Eric, I could not open or see the three pictures you have in your post.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Fresh air system 13 years, 3 months ago #10658

Anyone else have trouble with the pictures? My wife could see them w/o logging in.

I have had 2 episodes of the oil filter coming loose, and dumping oil on the headers (my engine builder at the time was mis-timing balance shafts). No fire thankfully, but lots of smoke, everywhere, very quickly, not coming from one side that I could tell. The pictures of burning 944's I have seen have had most of the fire wrapping back up from behind and under the car. Moving your intake back closer to that might not be a good choice, either. All we really have is speculation on what's better. Where do the pros put theirs? Might be a place to start.

For the time being, mounting it on the left side of your halo would seem to be a reasonable solution?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 3 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Fresh air system 13 years, 3 months ago #10659

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Eric, are you saying that my computer skills may be lacking??????
Jim Foxx

Re: Fresh air system 13 years, 3 months ago #10662

• spec28
  • Junior Racer
i've looked at this. no room due to d-side net and it's hardware. certailnly no room for the 3" hose either.
I fought this battle during the last rule change effort. This was the very reason I wanted ducted plexy side on at least one side. I was tired of seeing guys have to duct tape 1 liter bottles in the side windows, and naca ducts in door openings are too restrictive for egress with helmet/hans. Thst's just poor car building and poor safety. I don't understand the mentality of the powers that be to force substandard craftsmanship and safety, when there is an excellent solution sitting on the shelf!
This would not require everyone to use one, it just grants an allowance if one chooses to. This is a real benefit for the desert boys....mgay?
Dean S.

Re: Fresh air system 13 years, 3 months ago #10663

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I'm trying to remember where one of my baja bugs had it's Parker Pumper blower set up at. I never used it but I think it was mounted inside the car right behind the driver, the idea being it's probably cooler inside the car than outside in the desert if you are moving. The blower is filtered and doesn't really need an intake as it will just suck the air from inside the car, filter it and blow it on your noggin. Any other solution seems overly complicated and as you all touched on, has the potential to suck in flames. If it's mounted behind the driver and sucks in flames, you've got bigger fish to fry.

Check out some of the offroad websites to see what they do, or Jim you can get some courage up to come race with us in Norcal where the temps never get above or below 76 degrees and the tracks are paved in gold!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds