Username Password: Remember me

rotating tires
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: rotating tires

rotating tires 13 years, 2 months ago #10725

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Last race weekend my right side tires took a beating because of Thunderhill's mostly left turns, and since tires are scarce I was wondering if I can rotate the tires side to side for the race next weekend at the same track? I'm not ready to flip them on the wheels yet but I'm down to just grooves.

Re: rotating tires 13 years, 2 months ago #10727

I've seen both schools of thought on radial tires but I think the consensus is that rotating side to side with modern radial tires is fine. Because shaved tires have no tread direction, the only issue would be if they take a "set" in one direction. From what I've read, modern tires don't take a "set."

I would see if Toyo has a tech line you can contact to be doubly sure but I think it is OK.

Re: rotating tires 13 years, 2 months ago #10729

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Brian, from Toyo's only is a good source to talk with. From what I recall, and my own long-standing practice, swapping tires from side to side is fine. Some actually rotate them on an X pattern after each day's running or after each weekend,

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: rotating tires 13 years, 2 months ago #10734

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I also do side to side and front to back and the x thing, but once the outside edges get rounded you can flip them.(put the outside on the inside) The only reason the tread is there is for the rain. The groves take the water away from the center of the tire to the outside edges. And even when mounted inside out, they still work pretty good in the rain. At least my NT-01's did.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by RacerX.

Re: rotating tires 13 years, 2 months ago #10749

I rotate tires every day. This keeps the wear even throughout the entire set and life. I often X the tires,but a lot depends only the track and wear pattern. By the end of their life I try put then tires with the most rubber in the places that will wear them the most.

I have never flipped the tires on the rim as I have never found the need. I guess mu camber settings and rotations even up the wear.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds