Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

If you build it, will they come? (FL)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: If you build it, will they come? (FL)

Re: If you build it, will they come? (FL) 13 years, 1 month ago #11094

Congrats on the purchase and on being the flag waver for Florida. They will come, to be sure! Here in Texas we've grown from one car last year to six cars in six months. At our last event we had 9, but we had a few special guests

I would definitely install a fan. You dont need it on track, but as soon as you come into the paddock you'll need it. I think they help in traffic too.
NASA Texas Competition Director
Texas 944Spec Director
National CMC Director

Re: If you build it, will they come? (FL) 13 years, 1 month ago #11097

• UFfitz56
  • Comp School
Thanks for the help Al! Now I'm just nervous about getting my license but it will come with time. I am thinking about putting a single 13" fan on the hot side of the radiator with a manual switch for the paddock/slow speed. Anyone know of any aftermarket fans that bolt up easily to the radiator?

I am going to Sebring with NASA on Oct 2nd so if anyone wants to come down I'm sure it would be a great time! I will be hpde 1 though

Thanks again guys!
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by UFfitz56.

Re: If you build it, will they come? (FL) 13 years, 1 month ago #11099

• UFfitz56
  • Comp School
So I just talked to the seller (Tony @ Heyer Performance) about the cooling fan. He said he's never needed one because of the external oil cooler and a fan would just restrict flow too much. Still makes me nervous since it is hot as hell here in FL and I would have to be really careful on cool down and in the paddock. Hmmm....any thoughts?

Re: If you build it, will they come? (FL) 13 years, 1 month ago #11101

It's just so easy to not pay attention hen the car is warming up, and have it get hot. I have 13" single high capacity SPAL fan, and it's just enough to keep the car cool while it's sitting still - like in the line through tech, for example. I know some guys fo it, but it's not worth for the small amount of weight in a good quality fan.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: If you build it, will they come? (FL) 13 years, 1 month ago #11103

UFfitz56 wrote:
.. Still makes me nervous since it is hot as hell here in FL and I would have to be really careful on cool down and in the paddock. Hmmm....any thoughts?

I run in Az so we have races/track time from as low as 40F to 105F. I have always used the stock cooling fans each one directly wired on seperate switches. Foor cool races I don't run eiter fan, but mostly run at least 1 fan. For warm to hot races or running in close traffic I will run both fans. I also run the stock front undertray as I believe it helps make the radiator more efficient.

I know only one guy to run without fans at all.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: If you build it, will they come? (FL) 13 years, 1 month ago #11105

Congrats on your new car and welcome,

All good advise on cooling your car, I didn't see if anybody mentioned "water wetter" since coolant is not legal in any class on track, water wetter is legal and does help to cool your motor. Also look inside of your radiator to make sure it's clean, if anybody put FL tap water in it, you might need to have it boiled or just replace it since they aren't that expensive, maybe with a turbo radiator if your racing in the summer months. I have always used distilled water, but now word on the street is to use RO??? Just don't use tap.

There are a few brands of water wetter, Amzoil, Redline etc... here is a couple that I just pulled up on line

www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10

www.amsoil.com/storefront/rdcb.aspx
Norman #99
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds