Username Password: Remember me

Picking a car to start the build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Picking a car to start the build

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11205

• Dolfan
  • Drivers Ed
Sterling Doc wrote:
A 944 Spec car would be legal in ITS, I believe, but not competitive.

True, but we all know that I'm the one that will like not be competitive for a while The reason I am looking at this route is to first use the SCCA CLub and Time Trials to gain time towards making the license process easier.

I'm already a SCCA member for Solo.

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11206

Makes sense. In the end, it's all about track time, and whoever shows up to compete, who may be no more competitive than you.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11207

I have found thay my local NASA region provides plenty of track time.

We typically have 1 race a month in the cool season Jan-May and Oct-Dec. We have also added a race in June and August in early morning hours before it gets too hot just to keep attention in the summmer. In fact we don't have much of an off season. So just trying to run a full NASA season locallly I run up to my family imposed track day limit. PCA... I have not had time to run a PCA event in years.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11208

• Dolfan
  • Drivers Ed
I think my interest in other organizations is since I still think that 944Spec is growing in the SE and not at the levels many of you are seeing in the west and midwest.

My initial idea is to begin targeting the closest tracks which would be Rd Atl, Barber, Roebling, CMP. I figure with that group of tracks I should be able to gain the experience I need before traveling too far.

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11235

• Dolfan
  • Drivers Ed
Was out at Road Atlanta this weekend, ran the SCCA PDX in the Z06 for seat time and then looked around at many different cars to try to narrow my focus.

I didn't see to many 944's in attendance, of course the most often seen car was a Miata!

I did come across a local ad for a 944. The ad states the following:

Great car. I am the owner, not a dealer or a flipper. 145K+ miles, new timing belt, new water pump, new brakes, Cold A/C, 5 speed, every record and original price sticker. I hate to sell. If you know Porshce 944s you will like this one

The price is $3200 so if you think maybe it can be had for $3K I wonder if that is worth the money for a decent platform? Maybe there are $300-500 worth of parts to sell. If the records of the engine work check out it sounds like you could begin running the current engine and not tear it down first thing. I'd have to budget about $2000-$3000 for safety, and then I'd think about $2000 for suspension/brakes other? SO maybe a V1 car to begin at the PDX/DE level might be in the $8K range, of course with plenty of sweat and time!

Thoughts?

Re: Picking a car to start the build 13 years ago #11237

$3200 is a fair price for running car in solid shape. 145k is not that big of deal. Probably best to still change rod bearings on this since the orginals are probably in the car. Has the car been tracked regularly?

At little track time is good since the PO will probably have put some effort into making it solid car.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds