Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Picking a car to start the build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Picking a car to start the build

Re: Picking a car to start the build 12 years, 11 months ago #11310

• Dolfan
  • Drivers Ed
Well in the past weeks I've been checking out some cars both e30 BMW and 944s. I saw a 944 last night, good looking car it has sway bar/spring/shock upgrades with camber plates gutted interior and a original 75K mile engine. The car internal is very solid and clean. The roll cage is one worry as it is a kit cage based on the type of connectors where the bars meet but it is welded into the car. My concern is that I would need to confirm that the roll bar will pass NASA/SCCA tech, not sure how to go about that? But I also think the car is a bit high on price at $10K, that can buy me a previous raced car with a log book and background known. I also would have some rework to the interior as the seats are not a true race seat and I need to make the car two driver ready, one 6-1 the other 5-6.

Interested in your thoughts, but at this price point it just seems out of the question for me.

Re: Picking a car to start the build 12 years, 11 months ago #11311

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
For that kind of money I would ONLY buy a car that already had a log book for the series I wanted to run.

You can find good 944Spec cars significantly less than that one.

Pass
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Picking a car to start the build 12 years, 11 months ago #11312

• Dolfan
  • Drivers Ed
Yeah that is my feeling as well. I feel bad for sellers that say I've got $15-18K in it so I'm asking $10K but it still doesn't make sense for me. Hate to see someone lose too much but I'm not looking to finance his mistake.

I think this car is just not a good fit for most buyers, not quite a race car, to far removed from being a street car.

Re: Picking a car to start the build 12 years, 11 months ago #11318

• Dolfan
  • Drivers Ed
OK, well looked at another 944 tonight and this car seems like a better value. This is a 87 originally as a 2.5l but has been swapped with a 2.7l engine from Broadstreet performance (Jacksonville area). Engine has only had maybe 3-5 hours on it since install. Better roll bar and the car has competed in the past in PCA-H events. Seen a bit of time at Road Atlanta and Daytona but only two races and most were DE events.

I'm not sure how the engine swap to the 2.7l engine works for 944spec? I know in NASA GTS it is mainly based on the hp/weight so that should not be an issue, and Time Trials also would be the same in NASA.

Cars body is straight and clean, still has interior panels and some carpet remaining, but also has been setup with a cool suit system. Suspension has upgraded springs and Koni shocks, no camber plates, with two sets of wheels

Price is way more competitive in the $6K area, I think this car would make a good car for HPDE/TT and transition to Spec944/GTS/ITS? Need to figure out how the SCCA will class this with the engine swap.

Does it sound like I'm in the ball park?

Re: Picking a car to start the build 12 years, 11 months ago #11319

The 2.7L can't be used in 944 Spec. Are you sure the engine wasn't Broadfoot performance? They had a poor reputation among Cup guys and I personally had one of their rebuilds in a car that came apart. I checked out the critical machine work after I disassembled it and found several dimensions out of spec.

The fact that it is a 2.7L would make me keep looking.

Re: Picking a car to start the build 12 years, 11 months ago #11320

10k is alot for a car, but if it build to limit of the spec rules complete with logbook and enough race history to show it has been sorted out then it can be a solid deal. As for the roll cage, bolt in cages are legal and work well. However they are not as nice as weld in one in general. With and caged car look for a log book and if one does not exist then inspect the cage to NASA rules and see how it checks out. There are times a weld in cage could be worse than a bolt in if not done right.

6k for a car with 2.7L motor is not as good a deal since you will need to swap out the 2.7L for a 2.5L
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds