Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

What we learned this year...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: What we learned this year...

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11774

I think it would be hard to control intakes at this point. I'd hate to go back to the factory setup because it is so bulky and because I don't have one. On the other hand, I agree with Norm that rules creep is bad for the series and this doesn't help competition.

I would say the overwhelming majority of people have either a stock airbox or a cone type filter bolted directly to the A/F sensor. The stock airbox takes the intake air from the wheel well area IIRC.

Maybe the right thing to do is allow only a stock airbox or an aftermarket filter that must be mounted underhood (possibly tighten location even more). Any ducting to the filter must be done from the stock location (the same point that the stock air box pulls cool air).

I don't think this would have a tremendous negative impact on the series. The few people currently ducting air from the front of the car would have to change their setups but that isn't the end of the world.

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11777

Eric, thanks for understanding where I am coming from with this, it really has very little to do with air intake, but more with the intent of what 944spec was created for. I think it's close to new rules time and would really like it if everybody that is wanting to make changes looks at the 200 mustangs, scenario. As for air intake, when I purchased my car in 2005, it had a K&N cone filter, dyno's at that time showed the stock air box made more power, of course that was sitting still on a dyno, but I bought a stock air box, one weekend I rammed the air into the box from the fog light opening and it made the car cut out at 5k rpm's, then I came into impound (with SCCA) and was DQ'd for having it:( Didn't know it wasn't legal. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to go around German engineering to make things better and found that the R&D that the Germans did had better results than mine! Go figure.
Norman #99
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by norman#99.

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11780

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
I'm interested in opinions on wether the $20 or so in parts that ram air costs is worth regulating this, and if so, how.

I agree with Norm. Spend a few dollars more and get the stock air box.

1 Definition and Claim
The Porsche 944™-924S™ spec class is a class for those individuals that wish to race a
Porsche in a competitive series with limited expense and low cost of operation. These rules
are intended to control costs and reduce any performance advantage from the cars so that
driving ability and race setup are the greatest factors in determining winners.
The following
are approved and disapproved items for the class. The spirit of the class is for all cars to be
equal in weight and horsepower and be competitive with one another. The focus will be on
driver ability and not dollar ability. This class is not intended to be an engine builder or
innovator’s class.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by RacerX.

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11781

Good input, keep it coming.

One issue with the stock location, is that without fender liners, we tend to suck in a lot tire boogers and crap from there. This is what came out of an airbox after a couple of days at Miller:

Screens can help, but get clogged. We'll be looking at the intake issue closely this year, so keep your input coming.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11797

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
My personal opinion is to get rid of ram air. Remove the allowance to pull air in from these areas. This isn't supposed to be an engineering series, its supposed to be a drivers series. If this remains, it would be worth it to me to come out and do some testing with pressure sensors to find out where the highest pressure area is that I can legally draw air from.

However, if you allow it to remain, keep the 924S in mind. We don't have foglights and it would be very difficult to pull air in down by the radiator without ending up with an illegal car. My point is, if you're going to limit the air intake to one place, the turn signal area is the most equal.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11799

Excellent points, all, Robbie.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds