Username Password: Remember me

What we learned this year...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: What we learned this year...

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11804

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
Robbie wrote:
My personal opinion is to get rid of ram air. Remove the allowance to pull air in from these areas. This isn't supposed to be an engineering series, its supposed to be a drivers series. If this remains, it would be worth it to me to come out and do some testing with pressure sensors to find out where the highest pressure area is that I can legally draw air from.

However, if you allow it to remain, keep the 924S in mind. We don't have foglights and it would be very difficult to pull air in down by the radiator without ending up with an illegal car. My point is, if you're going to limit the air intake to one place, the turn signal area is the most equal.

Seconded.
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11809

Guys...

The old wording that was in place back to 2002 when we started the class was anything before the AFM was legal. So cone filter etc was legal. It was decieded from day 1 we did not want to require stock airboxes. By allowing "ANY AIR FILTRATION SYSTEM" we are in effect allowing you to source air from any location. Could a cold air, hot air, or air from a location that is pressureized by the air flowing over the car. Many questions came up and rather than tell drivers different things at different times we clairfied the rules last year.

Now we can limit where you get you air from. We can say "No you can't get it from the fog light". However that does not stop you from looking for another place high pressure air. I am sure there are other more complicated areas of high pressure. About the only we can limit this effectively in my mine is requiring a stock air box. The issue is that there are guys without stock air boxes. I personally have a stock air box with stock mini fender liner that comes on the early cars. These can be duplicated on later cars without that much work.

Still how many of you out there want to dig up a stock airbox just to be legal?

Guys before you get into a big tizzy... remember also how this class is working. We are sharing data. We are sharing what has been learned rather than keeping it a secret. This is a system that should be simple for most cars to duplicate. As for the 924S... Remember that the 924S has a narrow body and less drag down the straight in the first place.

As for the series being a driver vs engineer series. A big part of the classis is now and always will be chassis set-up.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11810

It may be workable to direct that any ducting come only from the turn signal area, otherwise an open element or stock airbox would be required, but we'd have to think through any implications of going this route. Even with the stock airbox, ram air could be ducted to it. Dirks' TM data from Nationals seems to indicate this might be effective, though it's limited/was not a formal test.

Joe's point is important. No secrets or conspiracies here, just trying to lay things out as clear as possible, and make the best decision for the big picture. Bringing this out into the open, with some real data, before its a "problem" is the way things should work in this class.

This has been a good, constructive discussion - keep the thoughts coming.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11811

IMHO, mandating stock airboxes would be a huge mistake. Very few people have them and they are a pain to deal with because they take up so much underhood space.

I would much rather see the location for air intake mandated. Even doing nothing is a better idea than stock airboxes in my opinion.

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11818

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I got these guys to set up my new "RAM-AIR" system. Pretty nice!!

Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by RacerX.

Re: What we learned this year... 12 years, 9 months ago #11819

OK, but we'll have to spec the leaf blower.

The "Nawwwz" is just too much!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by Sterling Doc.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds