Username Password: Remember me

Where are you buying your tires?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where are you buying your tires?

Where are you buying your tires? 12 years, 2 months ago #13191

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
Had a set of nice Kuhmo V710's on the '44. Did well in the autocross but i flat spotted a tire and have cord showing. Time for a new set of shoes.
I'm sure everyone is shopping around for a cheap set of tires. I see tires direct has the cheapest price but they don't have any (Toyo RA1)
Any ideas? Have a drivers ed on June 16/17th. Like to get a set before then. Have a set of hoosier slicks on dials if someone would like to do a trade?
If i buy new...what if any shaving would you recommend. It will be for drivers ed only.
Last Edit: 12 years, 2 months ago by seafeye.

Re: Where are you buying your tires? 12 years, 2 months ago #13192

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I'm sure some other more experienced guys will chime in after me, but what I have been told is to shave to 4/32nd. It actually allows the tire to perform better. By the time you run a full tread tire down to those shallow tread depths, you've already lost most of the performance of the tire. By shaving the tire down, you reduce what I call tire squirm. This is basically the thickness of the tread flexing as you put a lateral load on the tire. Its kinda like when you push the skin on the back of your hand sideways. Some say these tires are good for 20-25 heat cycles, and others run until corded. But all start out at shaved tread depths that I know. Running full tread depth will also chunk the tread i.e. chip parts of the tread off.

As for a place to purchase tires, I have been recommended to go to treadzone.com. Haven't bought a set from them yet, but they do contingency and seem to have competitive pricing. I don't think we have a series sponsor that supplies tires.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Where are you buying your tires? 12 years, 2 months ago #13194

We do not have set dealer for tires, but we Az and So-cal guys our Toyos from Bryan Shackelford and have for the past 9 years.

Current Rate is 160 per tire (225/50 R15) and he takes toyo rebates. He is located in Phx Az, but will ship anywhere and has been the Toyo tire dealer at Nationals the last 3 seasons.

Bryan Shackelford
Track Fast Motorsport
Authorized Motorsport Dealer
Yokohama,Toyo, Hoosier,
Goodyear, Nitto
We accept Toyo bucks
(602)252-3301 shop
(602)252-3319 fax
Bryan Shackelford [trackfastmotorsport@yahoo.com]
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 12 years, 2 months ago by joepaluch.

Re: Where are you buying your tires? 12 years, 2 months ago #13195

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Maybe we should adopt him his the preferred class supplier of Toyo Tires?
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Where are you buying your tires? 12 years, 2 months ago #13240

He is the perferred supplier for Az that is for sure. Nationally we do not have single tire vendor. To be honest if you have tire shop that attends the local events and accepts rebates best to use them. Support the local guys when possible as it the local guys that can be real help when you need them.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds