Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Need help with car cutting out in corners.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Need help with car cutting out in corners.

Need help with car cutting out in corners. 15 years, 11 months ago #1354

The "new" car is having a problem with what feels like, but is not, fuel starvation in corners. It is worst turning right. Sometimes it just missses a bit, and then clears out once it's pointed straight ahead, other time I'm costing around the corner with my foot in the floor. To make weight, I ran a full 21 gallons of gas at Putnam. Same result. We've replaced the fuel pump, and the wiring to it. The ignition key is out & the ignition is on a switch. Otherwise runs well. It's less pronounced if I'm smooth. Ideas?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Need help with car cutting out in corners. 15 years, 11 months ago #1372

Check the bottom of the tank. There is a small float on the bottom of the fuel filler neck. This can break off and settle in the tank. Years ago my car was suffering fuel starvation in right hand 180 corner. The car would stumble on the way out of the corner then come back once going straight.

I pulled the fuel level sensor and look in the bottom of the tank and found a piece of white plastic that sealed up the hole to the lower tank. This is on a steel tank 84 chassis. Anyway this plastic plug was sealing the mini tank that the fuel get pulled from. So it would run out of fuel and once going straight it would come back.

Simple enough fix when I saw that white plastic in the tank.

Your problem sounds similar.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Need help with car cutting out in corners. 15 years, 11 months ago #1383

Joe, that sounded very promising, but no dice. I pulled the fuel sender on my plastic-tank car, and the tank looked good inside. Wigling wires seems to make no difference under the hood. It's been suggested that a faulty DME relay could do this, but it seems unlikely. On top of the my fuel rail is cracked, so I don't like to run it much, watcing it pee fluid across the intake side of the block.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Need help with car cutting out in corners. 15 years, 11 months ago #1391

• tcomeau
Eric,
I just had a problem similar to this. the car would cut out like it was starving for fuel, but only in turns.
Turns out that one of the big cables to the starter was loose and swinging into the chassis under cornering! It would short out and I guess the engine would loose spark?
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re:Need help with car cutting out in corners. 15 years, 11 months ago #1393

Along those lines also check for loose/bad speed reference sensor wires. If the engine shifts in a corner it can pull on these can cause the engine to cut out.

Does it happen at the start of a corner or only in a longer corner once the car has been loadaed up a for a few seconds?
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Need help with car cutting out in corners. 15 years, 11 months ago #1396

It happens right away, and seems worse if I'm more abrubt with trail braking and turning in. I jiggled the speed/ref sensor wires near the sensor itself and could not reproduce the symptoms. I'm going to look at the starter cable as Tim suggested. Doug from VFC will be out later today. We're going to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if we're losing fuel pressure when this happens or not.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds