Username Password: Remember me

Your Hour on the Dyno
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Your Hour on the Dyno

Your Hour on the Dyno 11 years, 5 months ago #14782

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Since we now have a new shiny Dyno Cap Rule, a few more of us will be spending time on the dyno in the coming months. I just stopped by the only local place today that has a Dynojet and realized its much more worth my time to pay for an hour then one pull when considering all the work it takes to trailer it to/from the dyno. I don't want to deal with the hassle of driving it the 4 miles to the dyno even though it would be massively more convenient.

So, since I am buying an hour and have no experience with dyno work, what have others done to occupy their time and maximize gains during that hour? Is there any prep work to the car before going? Will numbers produced on the RA1 be comparable to doing the dyno runs on the new RR compound? (I dont have any RRs to use yet) Where does AFM tuning fit in and is it even worth messing with on during your first trip?

I hope to create a checklist of items that can be done and bullet point considerations depending on what you want to accomplish geared towards our cars specifically. I think this will allow more people see the merit it going to the dyno.

As of right now, all I know to do is usual maintenance items like change spark plugs, oil, cap/rotor.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: Your Hour on the Dyno 11 years, 5 months ago #14786

Good thoughts to get organized.

If you can, organize a group dyno day - that can spread the cost around, be a lot of fun, and keep things transparent in the class.

Look through the dyno procedure we posted, and make sure you follow that - get the car warm, make sure the shop is using SAE correction, etc.
At the same pressures, and tread depth, I'd expect the RA-1 and RR to dyno similarly. Leave yourself a little more headroom, if you using full tread RA-1's as your baseline. I don't know how much tread depth will affect dyno readings (I'll work on checking that next time I'm on the dyno).

Most of all, go through your car before you go - plugs good? Cap & rotor good? Fuel filter reasonably recent? AFM wiper track not worn through? Etc. - you want the car tuned up to give you good readings.

I would certainly plan on doing AFM tuning if your renting the dyno for an hour or so. Just go in small steps ( 1-2 clicks at a time). Look at the AFM tuning thread for more details. Richer = CCW.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Your Hour on the Dyno 11 years, 5 months ago #14790

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Start with all new tuneup parts (cap, rotor, wires and plugs) bring the old ones with you just in case.
Check compression and do a leak down (if you have the tools) first so you do not chase your tail if numbers are low.
Make or purchase the tool to adjust DME. Check position of switch before getting on dyno and write it down.
Follow procedures in 944spec forum for oil temp, tire pressure etc.
Just for giggles measure circumference of tires to be used on rear at recomended pressure. A miss matched set could rob HP.
Bring spare DME, throttle body, and any other spare electrical parts you have.
When you make a change and you see a noticable HP increase or decrease do a follow up pull to verify results.
Write out a plan of adjustments ahead of time.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion