Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Feedback on the RR's from the 25 hours
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Feedback on the RR's from the 25 hours

Feedback on the RR's from the 25 hours 11 years, 5 months ago #14810

Guys, while I was at the 25 (not driving ) I made a point to dig through over 30 used RR's to look for the seam separation issue, and found none!

This feedback is from the Miata website on the RR's:

The RR's were great for us. Pretty sure we triple stinted one set (9+/-) hours and regularly double stinted both the front/rears. During our last stint our car double stinted rears and I was given sticker fronts to go make up some time, ran our fastest lap of the race after 636 laps and still went 20 more. Rears look very good still after the fact, I drove the fronts pretty hard though and we did a pressure change which we wouldn't have done for longevity. Thankful for Toyo's support we managed to Top 5 overall with 225 RR's.

Also this describing the split:

Ok, now on to the tires: We did run the Toyo RR's on both of our cars. We mounted them prior to learning about the date code thing and by the time we figured it out half of the tires were mounted incorrectly and were already on the way down to California to the race.

On one of the test days on the 99 car we did start to see a very slight seam split on 2 of the tires, but it was only on the improperly mounted tires. One of them was on the front and one was on the back. Toyo re-mounted the 2 tires in question properly for us, then we ran them the remainder of the test day for 3 to 4 more hours on both our 1.6L and 1.8L and had zero issues. By the end of the test day you would never had known the 2 tires with the slight tire issue ever had any issue at all. At the end of the test day we then got all the tires mounted per Toyo’s instructions and we never had a single issue all weekend. The tires performed flawlessly and look forward to running them on the car for our NASA races this upcoming year.

If you have never done this event before it truly is a must do..... This was our 5th year and we look forward to it every year. Jerry and the team at NASA put on an outstanding event.

What is interesting is that the split was described as getting better when remounted in the correct orientation,and run some more. As I understand it, the seams are not a straight butt joint, but overlap at an angle, which is why orientation matters. One set of forces tries to peel up the seam, the other squishes it down (in my best technical terms )

The last interesting tidbit is how fast the RR's were. Most of the Miatas were on Hoosiers, but the Miatacage guys on RR's posted some of the very fastest outright laptimes in E3 - around 2:04 flat on the bypass course.

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Feedback on the RR's from the 25 hours 11 years, 5 months ago #14817

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
So... like this, right?

"With this type of marking, a rear-wheel drive car should have the rear axle tires mounted with their identifier facing the right side of the car, and the tires installed on the front axle should have their identifiers facing the opposite side."
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re: Feedback on the RR's from the 25 hours 11 years, 5 months ago #14820

Yes, this picture may be more clear:

Re-hosted, hopefully should show up!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Feedback on the RR's from the 25 hours 11 years, 5 months ago #14821

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
I don't have a rennlist account, can't see the image.
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re: Feedback on the RR's from the 25 hours 11 years, 5 months ago #14822

Better now?
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Feedback on the RR's from the 25 hours 11 years, 5 months ago #14823

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
Eric,
That worked.
It is also available on the Toyo site is someone wants to print it out.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds