Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Thoughts for the New Year - an open letter
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thoughts for the New Year - an open letter

Thoughts for the New Year - an open letter 11 years, 4 months ago #14877

As we take some time off over the holidays, lets take some time go over things big, and small, racing and not.

First, take a moment to thank spouses, parents, kids, and all those who make what we do possible, often through significant sacrifice. Make it clear that the time you spend away results in renewed energy towards the things that really matter! I know we all feel this way, but probably don't say it enough!

Second, I'd like to think that we really do things a little differently in 944 Spec. John Lindsey referred to us as a "Band of Brothers" at Nationals, and that says a lot. Let's continues to go above and beyond in helping each other out off the track, and respecting each other on the track. If you find out something cool, share it. If you have a chance to win, but with a low percentage pass, let it go, and live to race another day. There is no ends justifying the means here. If it does, you are in the wrong class. I know secrets, and an "edge" are prized, and guarded in many classes, but again I'd like to think we are different. We do this for fun - secrets, rumors, and unsportsmanlike conduct damage that. If you can lay out what you know, help the other guy out, and still beat him (or even not), you have my respect, and you made the class a better "place to be." In my travels, I've been really impressed with the high quality people 944 Spec attracts, and our racing should continue to reflect that. Let your racing reflect your good character. Individual incidents happen, but patterns of behavior mean something.

I know this all sounds like feel good platitudes, but the attitude we bring into this really makes a difference, and one we should be proud of. 2 years in a row we been among the cleanest racing classes at the National Championships - racing hard, at the highest level. Encouraging, and expecting better brings it about (on balance). I know and expect that we are racing for real, and hard - I also expect nothing less. But we are going to do it better than the next guy [class]! When incidents happen (and they will), at least dial it back just a hair to ensure you keep your nose clean for while!

Third, in the same vein - make an effort to clean up your (and your buddies) cars in the off season. Yes we're a budget class, the cars are old, and money is tight. Some effort in prep, a rattle can (or even a cheap air powered paint gun), and a little wet sanding can make a world of difference for cheap. In every region, there is somebody who is good with bodywork that could smooth over a little cellulite. There should be a bit of pride in not letting our budget define us. We overcome relative poverty by banding together and working a little harder.

I see this as important because we race better if we care about what we race. Not only do we race more cleanly, we race more safely if we look after our equipment, and that includes keeping it clean. New racers also notice, and pick up on that. We then attract like minded racers, and more of them. More and better people to race with - nothing better than that! NASA NorCal SE30 has an interesting local rule that any racer found to have at fault contact must not only repair their car to the 50/50 rule, but a 5/5 level. If you cause contact, you must repair your car to a better than average standard to return - an added reminder to keep your nose clean moving forward. While that rule is not yet ready for national use, I like it's spirit.

So, for the new year, let's make an effort to clean up, and shape up the best we can. After we've ironed out some controversy over the last few years, I saw some real progress in 2012, and see 2013 as banner year for 944 Spec. Regions are growing, new regions are sprouting (go SE & Mid-South!), and I see a new enthusiasm to make Nationals the event it should be - the biggest, best, and most fun event in 944 Spec racing!

-Eric

P.S. The new rules went to NASA around Thanksgiving. Apparently, the Holidays, and the 25 hour race have gotten in the way of posting them in a timely manner. I'll work on getting made official ASAP again.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 4 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Thoughts for the New Year - an open letter 11 years, 4 months ago #14881

Update. Will Faules at the National office says that he will look at the rules Friday & Monday. Post up or email me with any questions in the interim.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Thoughts for the New Year - an open letter 11 years, 4 months ago #14883

Well said Eric!

We are a fun class and that just didn't happen on it's own, we all made it that way! Keeping the non fun stuff out as listed by Eric will keep us all wanting to come back and will make others want to join in the fun. It's no accident that we are one of the fastest growing classes, so it's good to get a refresher course on what this class was built for.

Thank you Eric for keeping 944-spec heading in the direction it was intended and thanks to all 944-spec racers and supporters for giving me/us an awesome place to go play!

Happy New Year everybody!!!
Norman #99
Last Edit: 11 years, 4 months ago by norman#99.

Re: Thoughts for the New Year - an open letter 11 years, 4 months ago #14902

And thank you Norm for taking over the reigns to the Az region!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds