Username Password: Remember me

Alternator troubles
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alternator troubles

Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16844

• Gino230
  • Comp School
During my last session of the first weekend out, the car threw an alternator belt. I ordered a new one but when I went to install it, the adjuster had broken.

Ian at 944 Online is only a few miles down the road so I went in for an adjuster. He's a great guy, very knowledgeable and also very willing to take some time to show a newb some things....

He said it should not have broken unless something else is going bad- since I have A/C delete I was worried that it could be the motor mounts, but they look good and are less than 2 years old with very little use.

So when I started poking around I found the A/C delete bracket had broken. It was a Fast Guys part.

I'm somewhat surprised at this- I'm thinking there should not be that much stress on the alternator? Breaking an aluminum bracket and steel adjuster?

The car has just not been driven that much or that hard so I'm curious about this.

Thoughts?
photo-7.JPG
Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by Gino230.

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16845

Can't speak to the bracket itself breaking, I have the beefy OEM Porsche delete bracket, but the tensioner breaking has been a pretty consistent issue to us in the SE.

They break often enough that I always carry spares and they are the first thing I pull off junk cars to save. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it but we did have a car with the balance shafts out of time break 3 in one weekend.

FYI in case it happens again- I've found that that if you run a full size battery (or pull the battery from your truck ) you can run without the alternator charging for hours. A small braille battery even lasted me most of a race over the summer, if I had charged it before the race it probably would have lasted the entire time.
NASA Southeast
944-Spec

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16846

• phlip
  • Comp School
Hey Gino, Phil here. You know the guy who sold you the header collector.
I've got a factory AC delete bracket I'll sell for 100 bucks shipped.
Special price for you only, since you are a repeat customer.
Let me know.
--------------
Phil --------
NASA TX
944 SPEC #030

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16847

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Hey Phil,

Sounds like a good deal, can you throw in a couple of bolts too? I just got this car and haven't "acquired" the usual stockpile of hardware just yet!

Send me your paypal info again and it's on the way.

Thanks,

Gino

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16848

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
In comes Phil to the rescue.

I have your freebee radiator in my car now that you gave me at Eagles Canyon since you were tired of lugging it around. My car doesn't leak as bad now...
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Alternator troubles 10 years, 5 months ago #16849

• phlip
  • Comp School
Well I'm glad it leaks less. I sold my car and all my spares last saturday.
Gotta take a break for a while, sometimes life pulls you in a different direction. I got a few things left that I'll sell now and then for beer money. Thinkin about building a street car, 944 with an LS6.
--------------
Phil --------
NASA TX
944 SPEC #030
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds