Username Password: Remember me

Pressure Plates and Clutch Kits
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pressure Plates and Clutch Kits

Pressure Plates and Clutch Kits 9 years, 10 months ago #17779

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
So I'm currently trying to source a new pressure plate for the clutch refresh project I'm working on. Since we are allowed to use any clutch disc, I was going to go with an aftermarket racing grade clutch disc with the stock pressure plate and flywheel.

Well apparently, Sachs no longer sells just the pressure plate, only the $600 clutch kit which includes the pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and clutch disc. You can buy the disc and the bearing separate, but not the plate. This was a surprise to the rep at Paragon. I called Pelican to confirm as well.

My question is do I just go with the stock clutch disc since I have to spend the money on it, or try and sell it after the fact in whatever market that may be?

This also serves as another indication that parts availability across the whole car are starting to change I think, due to age.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Pressure Plates and Clutch Kits 9 years, 10 months ago #17782

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Does the stock disk have rubber? If so, that is a bad idea as it is a failure point.
Jim Foxx

Re: Pressure Plates and Clutch Kits 9 years, 10 months ago #17784

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
The Sachs stock clutch kit is a spring hub. To my knowledge, you cant buy a new rubber centered clutch disc anywhere in any kit listed for a 944. Its been eradicated from the market and all kits now come with sprung hub designs.
J. Stanley
Yellow #60

Re: Pressure Plates and Clutch Kits 9 years, 10 months ago #17789

• Manuel_M
  • Junior Racer
From what I've read and seen on other forums the current sachs disk is prone to failure, especially while racing.
Attachments:

Re: Pressure Plates and Clutch Kits 9 years, 10 months ago #17792

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
I have had several clutch disc failures like the one pictured above

While I am not 100% on this, it appears that Sachs has discontinued multiple parts. In fact, the disc that just came in a new kit for a friend, is different. The number on the disc was originally the disc for a 944 S2. So, theoretically, it is stronger. I think they have consolidated all non-Turbo clutches to this S2 part to save inventory costs. If so, this is good for us as the new NA clutch should be stronger than the one that we used to get that always broke. I am particularly pleased as I had moved to a SPEC clutch with less than thrilling results!
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes

Re: Pressure Plates and Clutch Kits 9 years, 10 months ago #17793

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Well I just bought a Sachs clutch kit so I'll post the part numbers of what I got. Still not sure I want to put the disc in that I'll get with the kit. Was thinking of going with a clutch net 6 puck sprung hub race disc.
J. Stanley
Yellow #60
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds