Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Suspension travel problems - Need help
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suspension travel problems - Need help

Suspension travel problems - Need help 9 years, 9 months ago #17917

Hello All,

I'm currently building up an early 944 to SPEC class rules. Upon advice here I purchased the Paragon SPEC-1 suspension kit. I've installed this kit flawlessly, adding the Moohkem (sp) camber plates. I'm following what I've been reading here and I don't know how the hell you guys are lowering your cars so low. I'm touching the Koni bump stops and am still at 6 3/4" at the rockers. 5+" at the front suspension cross member.

What have I done wrong?!

Please point me in the wrong direction. I've only got 30 more days before a non-refundable driving school.

Re: Suspension travel problems - Need help 9 years, 9 months ago #17918

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Well, I'll try NOT to point you in the wrong direction!

You want to take the bumpstops off and cut them in half. The rears just stick a screwdriver up under the metal dust cover and pry them out. Some people run without them but I wouldn't recommend that. Some people also cut the rear covers off exposing the shafts which is ok.

If you find you're bouncing too much, you're either too low or need to cut the bumpstops more.

Re: Suspension travel problems - Need help 9 years, 9 months ago #17921

"Wrong direction". Typo due to panic! Ha!

Thank you for the input. I'll take the advice. Compared to other coilover installs I've done, this setup just doesn't appear to have enough travel. But if you guys are running it...

Out of curiosity what setup are you running? Thanks for your help.

Re: Suspension travel problems - Need help 9 years, 9 months ago #17923

• Kurt R
  • Comp School
How long are your springs? Where is your lower perch on the threaded housing?

FYI, I have 10" 350lb springs, Ground Control under mount camber plates, lower perch almost all the way down, I'm at about 6" at the rocker panel.

BTW, you can run a school with a stock suspension. They don't care how fast you are, they care how consistent and safe you are.

Also, if you look at the eBay pictures of the Mookeeh coilovers, they have pictures of the coilovers with stock strut bearings and their camber plates. You can see how much suspension travel you lose by running them.

There's a good writeup of various camber plates on Rennlist
Last Edit: 9 years, 9 months ago by Kurt R.

Re: Suspension travel problems - Need help 9 years, 9 months ago #17928

Copied from my post on the NASA forums:

Mookeh camber plates mount low, and do limit shock travel a bit. The top mount Ground Control, or Racer's Edge plates will give you about another inch. It is typical to cut out about 2/3rds of the bump stop for our purposes. Cut off the tapered end. Keep in mind wheel travel is not the same as shock travel d/t the motion ratio. I would not try to go lower than around 5" at the rockers in your setup, maybe a bit more.

To answer your question on how much shock is left showing, I can't answer due to not having my car anymore, and having very different camber plates on my last one.

The Mookeeh plates are pretty suspect in quality, so I'd run things a little higher for now. When I did run the car low on my old bottom mount GC units, I actually bent the camber plates (which are beefier than the Mookeeh's). Lower is ultimately faster to a point, but it also puts the car and oilpan more at risk, so I'd start it out higher - maybe around 6" like Kurt.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Suspension travel problems - Need help 9 years, 9 months ago #17933

Kurt, 10" Hyperco, 350lb. Lower perch 3/4 to 7/8 down. Just like you it sounds. I think all this boils down to my lack of experience and cheap bottom mount plates. I'm going to run this school at 6" and order a better plate when I get back. Truth is, I'm not worried about getting as low as possible. I was just using these SPEC veteran's ride height as a guide and cannot do it with my current setup.

I agree with you on school purposes. I had one in May riding on stock, 30 year old springs and brand new "Monroe-Matics". Both my instructors passed me into the advanced solo/instructor group but both were adamant about me being faster, and therefore safer for the others, at the next school. My entry speeds are just too low and I can't safely enter any faster with the old suspension.

Thanks for your guidance guys. -Kerry
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds