Username Password: Remember me

distribution hitch
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: distribution hitch

distribution hitch 15 years, 9 months ago #2010

• Utah944
  • Junior Racer
I just bought a 20' enclosed trailer, i hope but that is a different story. I was interested in people's experience with distribution hitches. Is it needed for a 20' trailer. My tow vehicle is a 2006 nissan titan with the full tow package.

Re:distribution hitch 15 years, 8 months ago #2013

I would use one for any enclosed trailer and any 1/2 ton truck. I am sure you can "get by" without one, but better to be safe.

For a bigger truck you might be ok without one.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 15 years, 8 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:distribution hitch 15 years, 8 months ago #2022

I love them ! it makes the towing seem so much better

Re:distribution hitch 15 years, 8 months ago #2023

It made a large difference with out 31 ft. 2 car trailer, but then it was really nose heavy without the w/d hitch. It's amazing how much weight it can transfer. It would not be as important with a smaller trailer like yours - it depends on how much tongue weight you end up with.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:distribution hitch 15 years, 8 months ago #2025

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer

My only experience with an equalizer/ distribution hitch was this:
A friend was betting me he could tow my 580 CASE BACKHOE on his trailer with his GMC pickup that had an equalizer. We loaded it and it looked pretty level, I was impressed and thought maybe it would work. When we hit the first 30+ mph curve, the front wheels understeered so bad we went off the road into a field. Luckily we didn't hurt anything, I unloaded the tractor, pulled the truck out of the mud and DROVE the backhoe home.
My opinion is they give a false sense of load balancing, but the physics don't really change.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway
Last Edit: 15 years, 8 months ago by Gary_44.

Re:distribution hitch 15 years, 8 months ago #2027

Gary_44 wrote:

My only experience with an equalizer/ distribution hitch was this:
A friend was betting me he could tow my 580 CASE BACKHOE on his trailer with his GMC pickup that had an equalizer. We loaded it and it looked pretty level, I was impressed and thought maybe it would work. When we hit the first 30+ mph curve, the front wheels understeered so bad we went off the road into a field. Luckily we didn't hurt anything, I unloaded the tractor, pulled the truck out of the mud and DROVE the backhoe home.
My opinion is they give a false sense of load balancing, but the physics don't really change.

Thanks for the insight. I always wondered if they really made a difference or not. The bottom line is, when you are towing, slow it down!
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds