Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

distribution hitch
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: distribution hitch

Re:distribution hitch 15 years, 8 months ago #2029

Gary_44 wrote:
..My opinion is they give a false sense of load balancing, but the physics don't really change.

Well,
A load equalzing hitch does not make it ok to tow over the limits of the vehicle. Yes they can't change physics, but to close to the limit of vehcile you NEED weight equalizing hitch. The trucks are rated like this.

So the Titan is something like 9400lbs and to tow that much it NEEDS to have a weight equalzing hitch as it requried equpment for that rating. This hitch balances the load better over front and rear axles of the truck. Even so you still can't exceed the tongue weight and overall weight or else bad thing can happen. Heck even UNDER the limit bad things can happen.

Never overlook towing as it can be most dangerious part of racing. Even so the Titan should be ok towing a 20ft enclosed box, but I would get a weight distributing hitch and keep the speeds down. It is likely that the trailer is rated to 7000lbs (two 3500lbs axles) and I would guess your actual weight would be right there close. 2500lbs for the car 3000lbs for the trailer and 1500 for gear.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:distribution hitch 15 years, 8 months ago #2030

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I had an expeience similar to Gary's. It helped alot to level the rig but at normal hwy speeds it was unsafe. I literally had it sliding sideways back and forth on the interstate at 50-60 mph from a simple lane change. The trailer was too much weight for the Tahoe to handle. Fortunaltly we didn't hit anything but it sure through the car around inside the trailer.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.07 seconds