Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Short shifter
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Short shifter

Short shifter 7 years, 3 months ago #21475

• tradin1
  • Drivers Ed
So I just installed the new approved short shifter in my sp1 924s. WOW!! It finally feels like a race car. I can't wait to drive it tomorrow. I want to thank the powers to be for fixing the worst part about driving this car.

Re: Short shifter 7 years, 3 months ago #21478

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I put mine on last week and raced at Roebling this past week end. I love the new feel and definitely helps confidence in knowing you are getting the correct gear especially if you dont have a very strong left/right locating spring.

The install did bite one of our racer's though. He failed to use loctite or safety wire when he installed his. By the end of Test and Tune on Friday, both of the those pointy nosed locating bolts had backed out. The resulting slop caused him to grab third when he was going for fifth.

For the love of 30 year old engines, please use the supplied loctite when installing the Only944 short shifter. Or better yet, drill both bolt heads and use safety wire for even more confidence!
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Short shifter 7 years, 1 month ago #21580

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
While I have had the Only 944 shifter installed for awhile, I have just completed two track weekends with all 3 of their components installed.

WOW!!!!

There is NO play left in the linkage! The shifts and crisp, clean and direct. No vagueness at all.

Best shifting in a 944 that I have ever experienced.

Missed shifts will be a thing of the past.

Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes

Re: Short shifter 7 years ago #21601

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
so was the install easy with the trans in the car? I'm mostly thinking about the linkage arm that locates the linkage. I bought the short wrench but haven't installed it yet. It only takes 20 minutes to get the trans out but would rather skip that step if possible!

Re: Short shifter 7 years ago #21602

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Since you have the short wrench it is no problem installing all components with the trans in the car. The locating arm installs with the ball into the trans first, and then you install the retainer clip. The retainer clip is the hardest part, but not a reason to pull the trans. Definitely use the loctite, or better yet, loctite and safety wire. We had a racer not use the supplied loctite and at the end of his first day after install, the shifting was so sloppy he money shifted.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Short shifter 7 years ago #21604

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
Agree with Jason.

I actually did it out of the car as I had the joy of doing another clutch job!

With the trans out of the car it is a piece of cake. With it in, and having a short wrench, it is not bad, just fussy.

ALWAYS use loctite on this type of item.
Also, even the factory safety wired the bolt to the shifter rod and I also safety wired the small 10mm bolt to the trans as I have had the original one loosen during a race.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes
Last Edit: 7 years ago by ChuckS.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds