Username Password: Remember me

Fan switches
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fan switches

Fan switches 15 years, 1 month ago #3900

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I want to hardwire my fans and was wondering if I need to run them through a relay or if I can just put an inline fuse. If I should use a relay, are there any easy to use kits.

Thanks

Ron

Re:Fan switches 15 years, 1 month ago #3901

The fans draw about 25 amps on start up then settle on 15 amps or so. As such I had to run each fan on its own switch since running both one on one switch meant burining out the inline fuse As such I can use normal switches a 25-30 amp fuse each and no relays. I prefer this since there is not relay to fail.

Plus two switches allow some part of the one fan system to fail, and still allow at least one fan to run. Depending on air temp I can run a session with no fans or 1 fan in all but the most Az weather of 90F+ when I need both fans going.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by joepaluch.

Re:Fan switches 15 years, 1 month ago #3902

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Thanks Joe,

That's how I had it set up but someone said I needed a relay.

Re:Fan switches 15 years, 1 month ago #3904

I'm too lazy and cheap to do two switches, so I just jumpered the low powered one. It's on with my ignition toggle, then I wired a new switch to the high power fan with an inline 25 amp fuse. It's very rare that I don't need at least the first one running, but it's easy to undo the spade connector to kill it if needed.
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by cullenwinter.

Re:Fan switches 15 years, 1 month ago #3908

• bcc1323
  • Junior Racer
I'm with Joe, I used 2 20a switches with 2 15a fuses. If the circuit is right you don't need no stinking relays to go bad or vibrate out.

Re:Fan switches 15 years, 1 month ago #4013

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
I too used just one switch for each fan, with a 30 amp fuse on each lead going to the switch (right off the battery).

I used switches with plastic toggles because I'm scurred of metal ones connected directly to the battery.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds