Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

cylinder scratches
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: cylinder scratches

cylinder scratches 15 years, 1 month ago #4050

• deadeyeb
  • Comp School
did a leak down test thursday #4 cylinder leaking badly through the crank oil fill hole. pulled motor apart today and ohhh:( crap look what i found.
does anybody have any idea what i can do , scratches catch finger nail and feel quite deep. other 3 cylinders look good. can i hone block and have cylinder recoated if i can any idea on price. looks like i need a new block though. thanks for any help.
Fred B.
83 944 in progress
94 f350 dually
95 audi s6
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by deadeyeb.

Re:cylinder scratches 15 years, 1 month ago #4052

You will probably need a new block. I would check to see if you have cracked rings. That is often what causes this.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:cylinder scratches 15 years, 1 month ago #4054

• StraightSix
  • Drivers Ed
  • NASA-SE Co-Chief of Timing & Scoring
Can't the block be sleeved? I was under the impression that 944 engines being open deck used sleeves for each cylinder. I suppose if the cost of sleeving the block is prohibitive, then a different block would be in order.

Re:cylinder scratches 15 years, 1 month ago #4061

• deadeyeb
  • Comp School
you can sleeve the cylinders local machine shop said somewhere around $1000 just for the sleeving
Fred B.
83 944 in progress
94 f350 dually
95 audi s6
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by deadeyeb.

Re:cylinder scratches 15 years, 1 month ago #4062

deadeyeb wrote:
you can sleeve the cylinders local machine shop said somewhere around $1000 just for the sleeving

I don't remember this being legal. Bores are aluminum, sleeves are iron.

You might be thinking of the Nikasil or NiCom processes.

There is another topic here somewhere. Mine looked and felt bad, but after a quick hone the scratches went away, though I had to go out 0.007 to completely clean up the bores. The block is now being NiComed to get it back to OE spec. No obvious problems with my rings but yours may not be so smooth.
512 707-8869

Re:cylinder scratches 15 years, 1 month ago #4063

• deadeyeb
  • Comp School
who is doing the work and if you don't mind how much. that is another option than another block. you can start fresh good bores and new piston and rings. i found a machine shop localy that says they can bore and retreat cylinder walls for around $400. i would have to go to over size pistons though i don't know if that would be legal in 944 spec.
Fred B.
83 944 in progress
94 f350 dually
95 audi s6
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds