Username Password: Remember me

Late model tach
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Late model tach

Late model tach 15 years ago #4133

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Thanks for the manual Karl, it helped alot and it looks like I may just have a bad tach. I have a ground and 13 volts with the key and it appears I have signal from the motor, although I'm not sure, I read .6 volts when the motor is running but can't read milliamps.

So does anybody have a late model tach they want to get rid of cheap? I will be greatly indebted to someone if they do and I can get it by the 23. You can email me direct if you want at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Thanks
Ron

Re:Late model tach 15 years ago #4136

When you say .6 volts... is it .6 DC volts that your testing? or .6 AC volts?

It should be AC voltage and change with engine speed.

But maybe I have misunderstood your post.
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's

Re:Late model tach 15 years ago #4140

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I saw .6 dc, should I see ac voltage? Also do you know how the gauge gets its signal from the motor, does it come straight from the coil or go through the DME. I was sure I had a wiring issue but I'm going to order a used tach from EASY tomorrow.

Re:Late model tach 15 years ago #4154

The signal should be measured with AC voltage. Test the signal wire on the AC volts setting on your DMM (digital multimeter) the voltage will change with engine speed. I have the factory workshop manuals but the wiring diagrams differ from year to year. Please specify what year the car is. I am assuming that it is a N/A 8-valve.

According to the wiring diagrams though the ignition coil receives its signal from the DME.
- Blake

Re:Late model tach 15 years ago #4155

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
The car's an '86. Every wire that I took out is accounted for. The only things I wasn't sure about were the altitude sensor and 2 big resistors, both of which were under the dash. I wired them back up the way they were but it made no difference. The guys at EASY are sending me a tach to try and see if it works. If so, I'll buy it.

Re:Late model tach 15 years ago #4156

Ok so according to the wiring diagram and my understanding of it:

The DME gets its signal from either the reference mark sensor or the speed mark sensor. The DME then sends 2 signal wires:

1. to the ignition coil it is green.

2. Then one to the tach. it is sent through the 4 pin plug at the DME and it is in pin #2 and is Green/Black.

I would test the green/black wire on AC voltage.

Good Luck please tell us what you discover good,bad, or otherwise.
- Blake

• Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds