Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Wreck at Putnam Park
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Wreck at Putnam Park

Wreck at Putnam Park 14 years, 11 months ago #4407

Well, after many years on track, it took building an all new one to wad it up.

Fortunately, all the safety built into the car paid off, and I am unhurt.

The blow-by-blow:

Went out for qualifying on a newly dried track after heavy rains overnight. As I got clear of some traffic for an open hot lap, it began to drizzle (or "red mist" :wink: ). As I squeezed the the brakes to set the nose for turn 4, I found a newly slippery spot, briefly locking the wheels. Not alarmed (yet), but knowing I wouldn't make the corner, I got the car straightened out to drive straight off rather than spin. This was all good until I realized my trajectory was going straight to one of the very few bits of guardrail at Putnam - in front of a drop-off from a drainage ditch. As the overnight rains had soaked the grass, there was no steering around it, especially without risking hitting it sideways (bad at 60+ MPH), so I braced for impact.

I hit the hay-bales before the guardrail, then knocked over the guardrail, launching the car over the drainage ditch, Dukes-of-Hazard style. I saw sky, grass, then mud as nose dropped and augured in, standing the car staight up on its nose for long enough to wonder if it was going to over, or land on its wheels, before it went over on its roof. I was very thankful for the extra roof bar I put in the cage, and the HANS device. After a moment to assess myself, I wriggled out the side window - a bit of a tight fit with the car buried a bit in the mud, and the side mirror folded in.

The aftermath:

Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 14 years, 11 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Wreck at Putnam Park 14 years, 11 months ago #4408

• fishguy
  • Comp School
Glad you are OK,
Josh

Re:Wreck at Putnam Park 14 years, 11 months ago #4409

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Congrats on your safe result.

Our 944's are amazing by themselves and with the required safety equipment, phenomonal.

I will be very interested to hear how well the seat stayed in place with such a direct, head on impact. Also, of course, how the belts held up. Do they have any obvious damage?

Do you have any idea of how much the belts may have streached?

Great that you had the extra roof bar.

Again, glad to hear about your safe outcome from a scary situation.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Wreck at Putnam Park 14 years, 11 months ago #4411

• Misfish
  • Drivers Ed
Glad to see you are OK, that is quite a testament to the toughness and quality of the car and the safety equipment.

1984 Porsche 944 - just starting

Re:Wreck at Putnam Park 14 years, 11 months ago #4413

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
Wow. that sucks.
Glad your unhurt, I dont think I could be as mellow about it. Post Broken Toy Depression would have set in by now.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Wreck at Putnam Park 14 years, 11 months ago #4414

Holy cow Eric ! Glad to hear you're unhurt and apparently unfazed by the experience. Your thorough preparation paid big dividends in safety.

The car looks like it just needs some good old fashioned, RM region style straightening Seriously, let us know if you need anything.
Last Edit: 14 years, 11 months ago by cullenwinter.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds