Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Windshield....where to buy and what are you paying
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Windshield....where to buy and what are you paying

Windshield....where to buy and what are you paying 14 years, 11 months ago #4497

• F1rocks
  • Junior Racer
So yet another cracked windshield from a wonderful errant rock on the track...

Go to get a price....$380 installed (installation is $80 from a neighbor.) Apparently the 944 windshield is now so low volume it's a "rare and exotic..."

I paid less to put in a lexan windshield in my Turbo S...

What have you guys paid (early car) for a windshield? I'm tired of putting windshields into these things I'm on number 3 now. Have you ever given credence to opening up the rules to allow lexan? The weight savings is insignificant if you use the thicker lexan and I've never gotten a scratch in that one.

I'm all for saving $$'s but these @#$%ers are starting to cost more to stick with glass.

Anyone have a cheaper windshield supplier near the Twin Cities?

Re:Windshield....where to buy and what are you paying 14 years, 11 months ago #4501

I used to pay $100 for the windshield and $65 to have a windshield guy do the R/R. I haven't priced one recently but my supplier has raised the windshield price to (I think) $95 for the same reason; supposedly they are not producing them in the large quantities as in the past.
www.944cage.com
www.hanksvillehotrods.com
In-house mandrel bender
Custom-fitted, ready-to-weld mail-order 944 cages

Re:Windshield....where to buy and what are you paying 14 years, 11 months ago #4503

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
I haven't done a windshield, but I happened to see this link today...

www.944time.com/porsche/944-windshield.php
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Windshield....where to buy and what are you paying 14 years, 11 months ago #4506

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I am working on my fifth one and need to replace it. Lexan looks better and better, Joe.

Go look at the link for a $500+ windshield install.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Windshield....where to buy and what are you paying 14 years, 11 months ago #4510

Just got an online quote of $313 installed through Glassnet. If you call, sometimes you can bargain more, especially if you install it yourself. I have never had an glass issues, but it sounds like somtehing we need to consider/debate for the 2010 rules change.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Windshield....where to buy and what are you paying 14 years, 11 months ago #4530

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Mine isn't quite needing replacement yet (just some cracks in the outer layer; the inner layer and visibility are fine), but here's what I found in my area when I looked...

Speeyglass.com: $200.13 + tax, installed

Safelite.com: $230.95 + tax, installed

Others range from around $250-$325 + tax, installed

As for allowing Lexan, that could be nice because they don't crack. However, they do have their own durability issues, so we would need to use tear-offs or something to make them last, and they do seem to cost more money...

LindseyRacing.com: $421 + shipping
ApexPerformance.com: $425 + shipping
HrpWorld.com: $413 + shipping

At twice the price of glass, and with an obvious weight balance advantage, I can't say that really fits our "low cost equal racing", even though I'd probably get one myself if it were legal. But I suppose there could be a strong case for allowing them if someone could find them for the same price, or less, than glass...
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Last Edit: 14 years, 11 months ago by Weston.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds