Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

R888s left in cold over winter, trash or not?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: R888s left in cold over winter, trash or not?

R888s left in cold over winter, trash or not? 14 years, 11 months ago #4511

• bnewport
  • Comp School
I have a set of R888s (new) mounted which were in my storage locker over the winter and this winter was pretty cold (0F). Are they trash or not?

Re:R888s left in cold over winter, trash or not? 14 years, 11 months ago #4515

Billy,

Got your message. I would run them. You may have lost some grip, but I've seen several "frozen" tires run w/o problems. Anhil Blasquez actually post some very good times on his, and they were in a barn in 20 below weather. Rob S. thought that his frozen tires were slower, but no chunking or other problems seen that way. If they are slower, you could use them in warm-up, etc.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:R888s left in cold over winter, trash or not? 14 years, 11 months ago #4519

Toyo gives a warning that sub freezing temps can damage the tires. They may be usable or not. First look for cracking. If they are cracked they are probably bad. If not they may be ok, but just keep an eye on them. I have heard of two cases where guys have hit walls driving on "old" tires trying to get a little more life from them.

So I am not staying don't, just be very careful and if they feel bad or look bad ditch them.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:R888s left in cold over winter, trash or not? 14 years, 11 months ago #4521

the entire rmr drove to our first event this year in or around freezing temps . then we raced 2 weekends on those tires. I'm with Joe it's not a good idea but that's what we did.

Pictures are coming .

Re:R888s left in cold over winter, trash or not? 14 years, 11 months ago #4528

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Generally, having tires on a car at those temps may damage the tire where it is flexed at the contact points. Generally, if the tires are on rims and not on a car (no deformity of the tire)freezing should not have damaged the tire at all.

Generally, even if the tire is on a car and on the ground, if it is warmed up prior to moving the car, it should be OK as well.

In fact, you have proably improved their performance and life due to the slow, controlled curing of the tires. I think that is an unfair advantage and those tires should be illegal.

Joe, I think you should rule that they are just wrong and take away 2 races of points and put him in the back at the Nationals.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:R888s left in cold over winter, trash or not? 14 years, 11 months ago #4541

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
you might whant to read the following on the Toyo site on the cold issues RA1 and R888 have

cache.toyotires.com/sites/default/files/tirestorage.pdf
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds