Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Help with gearing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with gearing

Help with gearing 14 years, 10 months ago #4954

Is it possible to check the individual ratios of each gear without removing the transmission? There is some question about my transmission and the possibility of it being out of an "S". I am pretty confident that it is not, but want to make sure.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Help with gearing 14 years, 10 months ago #4956

If you still have a speedo, you might be able to figure out the speed in gears, but it's a pretty subtle difference between S gearing, and regular 8V. A dyno would be more accurate. Why do you think it might be an "S" trans?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Help with gearing 14 years, 10 months ago #4958

I don't think I have an 'S' trans, two other competitors think I do based on a recent video @ Road Atlanta. I got a feeling it is more about where I am shifting than it is what tranny I have.
MICHAEL MADUSKE

Re:Help with gearing 14 years, 10 months ago #4959

how about traqmate or other gps system and do 3000 rpm in each gear ??? measure the tires and do the math.

Re:Help with gearing 14 years, 10 months ago #4960

The best thing is to check the tranny codes. The 944 S has different trany code. This does not prevent someone from having swapped all the internals from an S into an non-S box, but that is alot of work for no gain. It is possible someone swapped the NA box for the S box years ago since it may have been around when the original failed.

The only issue is tranny code is on the top of the box.

As for checking RPM... I don't know how that will work out. The raitos are different, but quite close so you may not be able to tell for sure.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Help with gearing 14 years, 10 months ago #4961

After watching some other Road Atlanta videos I am pretty convinced that there is nothing wrong with my car and it is simply their shift points and lines are different than mine.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds