Username Password: Remember me

Trailer Advice?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Trailer Advice?

Trailer Advice? 14 years, 7 months ago #5486

• Omn3d0n
  • Comp School
Hi All,

What is a small sized enclosed trailer that works well?
Does a 7x16 with a v-nose sound about right? Any advice
on brands? HaulMark, Pace,....

Thanks
Sid

Re:Trailer Advice? 14 years, 7 months ago #5487

Speaking from experience 16 ft. is going to be tight - no room for extra wheels & tires. I'd go with an 18x8 bare minimum. Be aware of the total weight as well. Yor X5 is rated for 6,000 lbs Plan about 3,000 lbs of car and equipment to be on the safe side. While your X5 might be able to physically pull more, if you get in an accident, and are overweight, the lawyers will have a field day.

Click on the Ekquist Racing banner on the left, and give them a call. Nice family owned business, and low overhead, so they are cheap. Give them a shot - they sponosored us last year, and will again if the economy picks up a bit, or if we start selling some trailers for them!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Trailer Advice? 14 years, 7 months ago #5499

If you are going to pull with an X5 get an open trailer. Enclosed get heavy and have a big sail area for the wind.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Trailer Advice? 14 years, 7 months ago #5501

Joe's right - I went from getting 15mpg with my open trailer to 10mpg with a 16 foot enclosed trailer, pulling with my Q7, (VR6 motor). It's rated to pull 6,600lbs, and I'm pretty close to that limit.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 14 years, 7 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Trailer Advice? 14 years, 7 months ago #5506

• Omn3d0n
  • Comp School
I'm leaning toward an open trailer now. I think
that it will be easier to store and pull.

Thanks for the advice.

Sid

Re:Trailer Advice? 14 years, 6 months ago #5878

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
I tow with an X5 4.4 with the sport/air leveling suspension, I have an open 18 foot aluminum tommy trailer. It's 1,300 lbs with a 2,600 lbs of car and probably another 500 lbs of stuff, so all in all about 5,000lbs, no problem. I can put the car on the trailer and fit it in my garage.

It tows easy, it has plenty of power and the brakes are plenty to handle even evasive stops, but... you have to make sure that the car is loaded to balance the tongue weight, the short wheelbase doesn't take kindly to the ass end being lifted, I wouldn't recommend an enclosed trailer the size needed for a car, it would be too much sail, I'm not sure I'd recommend a heavy steel trailer either...

An enclosed trailer would be nice if you have the place to keep it, but then I'd be thinking 24' would be minimum.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds