Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Enduro Strategies
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Enduro Strategies

Re:Enduro Strategies 14 years, 6 months ago #5926

Chuck and I just ran a three hour Enduro in my car. It's a late car so it has the 21 gallon tank. We topped of the tank to start. I ran the first half. When I came in for our one stop, our plan was to put in 10 gallons. Well, we started overflowing after putting in just 8 gallons. So, with this information, any 944 should be able to do a three hour enduro with just a 5 gallon refill.
David Wright
#96 944 Spec
NASA Rocky Mountain HPDE 2 Group Leader

Re:Enduro Strategies 14 years, 6 months ago #5933

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
Ahha...

David that's what I was looking for! Anything else you had to do during pit? How did your tires hold up? How long did your pit take you?

Re:Enduro Strategies 14 years, 6 months ago #5935

• Big Dog
  • Banned
When Greg and I did an enduro at Infineon, we did the same thing and got a 5 minute penalty because we overfilled the tank after 1 3/4 hours by trying to put in 10 gals.

Last year, I only put in 5 gals for a 3 hour race and had most of it left in the car when I drained it after the race was over. So, Joe, the late cars will only need 5 gals. MAX and the early cars will need 8 or 10 gals.

Jim R., that fuel jug looks like a great item but it is $60 plus shipping and I don't want to spend that much for once a year use. Do you have an early or late car. If you have an early car, you would need 2 of them.

One suggestion is to do something like Charlie suggests and test it. If it works, several teams can share one or two jugs by staggering when they pit. I have a radio so it is not a problem for me to adjust my pit stop around others. We should get set up to share fuelers and fire guys anyway so we don't all have to have our own.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Enduro Strategies 14 years, 6 months ago #5936

Our pit was a long stop, about 5 minutes, mostly because we weren't worried about our place, we just wanted the track time. We finished in third overall, mostly because the other cars broke and had more pit stops.

The tires we ran were my old 16 heat cycle R888's. The held up surprisingly well. For the entire three hours, we were able to run within about 2 seconds of the 944 Spec track record. By the time the enduro was over, the tread was gone, but we were amazed that the tires weren't corded.
David Wright
#96 944 Spec
NASA Rocky Mountain HPDE 2 Group Leader

Re:Enduro Strategies 14 years, 6 months ago #5940

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
RM 944 had a great turnout for that event and had a great time. Shane and I learned several things. One stop only, 1.5 hours wasn't that hard to do, plan the gas accordingly, we didn't use as much as we thought, don't over inflate the tires, we ran on old 12-16 HC 888's as well and just corded 2 of them.
Most of all though...it was a blast in car or in the pits!
Lee

Re:Enduro Strategies 14 years, 6 months ago #5988

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Jim those cans (Hunsaker) are the ones specifically outlawed by the NASA (WERC) enduro rules.

Note that they hold 6 gallons but are called 5 gallon.

They are a good gas can just not legal in WERC.

Tires should be fine, just make sure alignment is right to get even wear. Your pace should be a couple of seconds off of lap record for class. One off will negate many fast laps.
Drive consistent lap times. Install a lap timer in car and shoot for your pre-determined lap time.

Go get em'
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion