Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Alternator
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alternator

Alternator 14 years, 4 months ago #6670

I think I have a bad alternator, but I'm troubleshooting it.

Does anyone know if the alternator is internally or externally regulated? If I find the alternator isn't working right (which seems to be the case), I'm wondering if I can just bring in the alternator itself, or if I need to bring the whole car to my electrically knowledgeable dad.

Re:Alternator 14 years, 4 months ago #6671

most often when you have an alternator problem it is the brushes. These can be easily replaced. If you are not putting our 13.5 volts on the battery with the engine running you have a problem. It is pretty easy to test on the car as you can remove the airbox can get to the alternator connections to see the output voltage.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Alternator 14 years, 4 months ago #6673

Where are you suggesting to test the voltage? I tested it on the battery and did not see a rise in voltage when the car was running. Looks like the alternator is indeed dead (or just needs to be rebuilt).

Re:Alternator 14 years, 4 months ago #6676

I just had a problem with mine, I have an early 85, if the alt light doesn't come on, on your dash, the system won't complete the circuit. I just moved the light a bit to make a better contact and when the light started working, the alt started charging again. With the motor not running, turn the key to the on postition and the alt light should be on.

Good luck
Norman #99

Re:Alternator 14 years, 4 months ago #6677

The car had been modified so that the ignition doesn't use a key. It's just a push-start button on the dash. So, I don't see any light, but it had apparently been working fine before.

I spoke to Chris, who I just bought it from, and he said he's going to ship me out a spare alternator he's got, since he wasn't aware of the issue when he sold me the car.

944 Spec guys are awesome.

Re:Alternator 14 years, 4 months ago #6686

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
There is a black box on the back held on by two screws. This is the brush holder/regulator. Typically a Bosch alternator will wear out one brush only (I don't know why but I was in the rebuilding biz for many years).

Before pulling alternator check at the back of the alternator with a test light. With the ign on there should be voltage at both the big and small terminals.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion