Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Tie Down Points
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tie Down Points

Tie Down Points 14 years, 3 months ago #6747

Picked up a trailer for my 924S. I'm just wondering what folks use as good tie-down points to secure their cars. The frame loops in the front seem obvious to me, but I'm less sure about the rear.

Re:Tie Down Points 14 years, 3 months ago #6748

You should never tie down to the body or chassis. When you do this, you bind the suspension when it is trying to move and can damage suspension components.

Get some wheel straps to put through wheels and retain that way.

Re:Tie Down Points 14 years, 3 months ago #6749

I've heard mixed reports on tying down to the chassis vs. the wheels. Seems like enough people do it either way, that it isn't too big a deal. I have heard quite a few reports of wheels being bent outwards and alignment being really messed up when tying down through the wheels though.

Re:Tie Down Points 14 years, 3 months ago #6750

Got D rings welded on. Taking a closer look at the car, I'm thinking I'll run axle straps around the trailing arms and attach those crosswise. For the front, I'm debating whether to attach to the chassis loops, run straps through the wheels, figure out a way to go around the control arm, or attach at the sway bar mount.

Re:Tie Down Points 14 years, 3 months ago #6751

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Some say to allow the suspension to move.

Some say do not allow the suspension to move as it puts wear and tear on the suspension.

Some say tomato

Some say tomato:)

I say you are correct, it doesn't seem to matter that much with our cars. Just make sure it doesn't move. I don't like to put straps through the front wheels for fear of stressing the steering and affecting the alignment but don't know if that is really an issue either. On my open trailer, that method puts stress on the wheels by pulling them out slightly so I don't do that.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Tie Down Points 14 years, 3 months ago #6753

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Just be sure to leave it in nuetral when towing. You do not want to have it rocking back and forth using the gear box as a brake.

I prefer to tie the chassis instead of the wheels.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion