Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Tire cost?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Tire cost?

Re: Tire cost? 13 years, 5 months ago #9792

Bryan from Toyos only should be at Auto Club Speedway this week - I will try & track him down.

A tire change is not on the table now, though I'll see what our long term options are. Thanks for the price point reference. It is interesting that the USTCC is on Nittos.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Tire cost? 13 years, 5 months ago #9793

Nittos may be cheaper but are they as durable? What does the contingency program look like?

I think the RA-1 is a very durable and good racing tire. I would hate for a Toyo representative to read this forum and mistakenly think that we are not extremely grateful for their sponsorship both regionally and at Nationals.

With the Toyo sponsorship, front to mid-pack cars can get tires free or significantly discounted.

I hope any change of tires is significantly researched.

Re: Tire cost? 13 years, 5 months ago #9795

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Nittos are the exact same compound as the RA-1 as Nitto is a sister company of Toyo. They have been around for a long time and have proven to last as long as RA-1's. Because of the tire shortage and cost some RM drivers had to run nittos last year (and run pte, but in the same rungroup) and they were identical on track.

There is no contingency for Nitto currently, but in larger regions like RM the toyo buck amount is not large enough to offset the price difference.

Now if they are the pretty much the same tire and compound... why the big price difference?

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re: Tire cost? 13 years, 5 months ago #9796

A tire change in a Spec class is the single most fundamental change there is. Spec classes live or die on rules stability. There are no plans to change tires. The RA-1 is fundamentally a very good tire for what we do, and critically, it is a known quantity. We fought hard to get it back, and are better for it.

It would take a lot of compelling, well-done data,and other good reasons, to start the process of considering a change. Any change of that magnitude, tires or otherwise, would only be after a long period of research, and open rules discussion. Gathering data for long range planning/options is always prudent, but does not mean a tire change is in the works...

Hope that clears things up a bit!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Tire cost? 13 years, 5 months ago #9797

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Thank you Erik for stating the obvious.

Toyo RA-1 is a great racing tire with a contingency program.

We have a system that works and it needs to be left alone.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Tire cost? 13 years, 5 months ago #9799

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
cbuzzetti wrote:
Thank you Erik for stating the obvious.

Toyo RA-1 is a great racing tire with a contingency program.

We have a system that works and it needs to be left alone.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!

It is becoming broken. 3 or 4 years ago the RA-1 was 120 bucks per tire in our size with few supply problems. Now its between 150 and 160 per tire. Where will it be next year? Sure, there's a contingency, but it doesn't knock the price per tire down enough to compete with the NT-01 over the field for the RM class.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds