Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

STEERING RACK
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: STEERING RACK

STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9858

• PNM52
  • Drivers Ed
CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME ON MY STEERING? I HAVE A POWER STEERING CAR AND DO NOT PLAN TO USE POWER STEERING PUMP. CAN I USE THE PS RACK WITH PUMP DISCONECTED? PAUL MEIER DEKALB IL

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9859

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
I do not think that will work. The stearing will work the same way as if you try and turn the stearing wheel while the car is turned off. You will need a manual stearing rack.

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9860

It will work but the steering will be very difficult. You should seek a manual rack as suggested or just keep power steering.

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9861

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Nonsense. I have been using a power steering rack without the pump from day one in my car.

Disadvantage is that it is somewhat harder to turn when the car is stopped or very slow but it is NOT that hard. Heck, my grandkids can handle it, for goodness sake.

Advantage is that it is a quicker steering rack than the manual so it is more responsive on the track.

I would not ever go to a manual for that reason. I believe it gives better feel as well.

Man up and get used to it. You will not notice it after a day or so.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9862

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Most of the guys run the PS rack like Big dog said but the manual rack is lighter.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: STEERING RACK 13 years, 2 months ago #9864

I agree with Big Dog. I've run a depowered power rack from the beginning. Only noticeable effort wise in the pits. Just loop the input/output lines to each other.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds