Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Teen Driving School (please read)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Teen Driving School (please read)

Teen Driving School (please read) 13 years, 4 months ago #9963

Hey guys and gals, I want to share my latest and most worthwhile project with you. Since 1999 when I instructed for a teen defensive driving school in Colorado, my vision has been to start a similar school, it has been closed doors until January of this year when I approached Tage Evanson our fearless leader of NASA-AZ about teaming up with NASA, it just so happened that John Lindsey was in AZ at the time so Tage suggested we talk to John as well, John was very supportive and long story short, we had our first school one month later, Feb 12. Dan Maloney, owner of Arizona Motorsport Park (AMP) (road course) donated his 15 acre driving pad, Tage (NASA) donated his time and equipment to the cause and of course the AZ 944 family jumped at offering help, not only 944 spec, but spec 944 as well with many drivers from other run groups and other clubs. When you look at nearly 6,000 teens being killed every year and 350,000 injuries, there is no room for competition or pride, everybody just wants to help. Susan and I formed Team Safety Driving School, LLC pretty darn fast and have been working on a 501 c3 (non profit status) which takes a bit longer, we want to do this to keep the cost affordable for the students and this will allow us to receive donations which will be tax deductible for the donors. The first school was very successful, we had several positive comments from the parents and students, but mostly you could see the change in their abilities to turn a normal driving condition into an emergency or evasive maneuver. A couple of the kids had never driven a car before and by the end of the day, they were effectively thresh hold braking, braking and steering and doing accident avoidance moves at some pretty impressive speeds.

March 20 is our next school, if you are close enough and want to send a teen with a learners permit or getting ready to get a learners, let me know. If you have kids in your region and would like for us to come to you, let's talk about what is needed to put this on and we can maybe come to you.

One last statistic: 98.5% of all drivers have less than 10 minutes of accident avoidance training!!!!!! We can all help to change that, starting with new drivers!!!!

Your good thoughts and prayers to make this a success is most appreciated,

Norman
928 254 5400 - call with questions
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Norman #99
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by norman#99.

Re: Teen Driving School (please read) 13 years, 4 months ago #9964

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Great job Norm - good to see more efforts in getting teens the driving knowledge they need.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Teen Driving School (please read) 13 years, 4 months ago #9965

• dmdirks
Awesome, Norm. I can't think of a better instructor, either!
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region

Re: Teen Driving School (please read) 13 years, 4 months ago #9968

A great cause, Norm! Our local Audi Club does this, and it has been a great success.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Teen Driving School (please read) 13 years, 4 months ago #9993

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Couldn't agree more! Good luck with the school.
Lee

Re: Teen Driving School (please read) 13 years, 4 months ago #9994

Thanks for your compliments and supportive comments!

Just a thought for those that want to sign a new driver up for HPDE-1 this training is an ideal stepping stone for a new driver to do that, after completing the course there is a much higher chance that the student will be ready and able to safely join NASA's HPDE, but mostly will be observed for their ability and skill level before getting on a track. This would compare to having a competition license before racing.

Thanks for reading and please let us know if we can help,
Norm
Norman #99
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds