Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

944 Spec Nationals Highlights
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 944 Spec Nationals Highlights

944 Spec Nationals Highlights 12 years, 7 months ago #11489

Tyler Palmer is the 2011 944 Spec National Champion. The 17 year old phenom demonstrated judgment beyond his years, and incredible versatility adapting to the changing conditions. Palmer finished in P7 for the first qualifying race, P1 in the second qualifying race. In the Championship race, he went from his P3 starting position to first in the first corner, deftly avoiding Eric Kuhns who spinning in after being tapped from behind in slippery conditions. This heads up move was key! Well done Tyler (and thanks!).

Drivers from 4 regions fill the top five - a national Nationals!
P1- Tyler Pamer - SoCal
P2 -Eric Kuhns - MW
P3 - Neal Agran - MW
P4- David Dirks - RM
P5- Phillip Fromme - Texas

Despite changing conditions in almost every race over 4 days, on a track that is legendary for being treacherous in the wet, the only car contact was bumper to bumper, and resulted in *no* damage (got to love 944 bumper shocks!). I can't state how big an achievement this is for the class in these conditions, and at this level of competition - wait until you guys see the in car videos! Conditions changed for every race - 1st qualifying race was wet to dry, 2nd was all dry, and the skys opened 15 minutes before the start of the Championship race.

Cinderella story:
Neal Agran (RL "KLR") buys new axles for this event, “just to be safe”. He then proceeds to shred 3 CV joints over the first 3 days of the event, never completing a full lap in the qualifying races. He then reinstalls the axles he took out, and storms from dead last to P2 in the Championship race, making over a dozen passes, and putting on a clinic on racing in the rain, before finishing in P3. Wow!

Agran also put on an actual clinic, using Traqmate data, satellite views of each corner, and a lot of hard won tips on how to navigate Mid-Ohio at speed. Traqmate data was freely shared throughout the 944 Spec compound, resulting in some fascinating comparisons, and a lot of fast drivers. Despite laying it all out there, Agran still schooled most of the field. 944 Spec sportsmanship at its finest!
The 2011 944 Spec Nationals, was racing at its highest level, done as it ought to be. The performance and sportsmanship demonstrated by 944 Spec drivers was outstanding, noticed by many, and appreciated by NASA. Yes, I'm bragging, but these guys earned it! Racing does not get more clean, exciting, or close! Particular thanks also goes to Bennington Motorsports for their trackside support of the class. Their tireless efforts kept every car entered running for the start of the Championship race, after 3+ days of hard racing.

Over $8,000 of cash and prizes were awarded - AIM data systems, fire suits & surpression systems, Go Pro Cameras, and more than $5K in cash from Toyo, Grassroots Motorsports, and others!

Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 7 months ago by Sterling Doc.
The topic has been locked.

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Highlights 12 years, 7 months ago #11495

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
Any links to video?? Can't wait for my first shot at Nationals! The weather circumstances, combined with seeing that more than a couple drivers were running wipers, makes me think that maybe I would have been better off to leave mine in...
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Highlights 12 years, 7 months ago #11496

Lots of video. It's coming. I just sorted trough all the pictures now, and am uploading that first, then I'll get to some video. Great stuff in there!
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Highlights 12 years, 7 months ago #11497

• KLR
Here's the video from my car --> vimeo.com/28914733

It was a great week!! Actually, it was a rough week, but a great time!

And congrats again to Tyler!!

- Neal

BTW -- here's the written the coverage and daily recap video --> www.goracingtv.com/09/10/2011/nasa-natio...s-crowned-mid-ohio/. Our race is recapped 3/4 of the way through the text.
Neal Agran
Midwest Region 944 Spec Series Director

National championships: 2nd 2013, 3rd 2011

25 Hours of Thunderhill: 2nd E3 class 2011

Midwest Region Champion 2013 and 2014
Last Edit: 12 years, 7 months ago by KLR.

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Highlights 12 years, 7 months ago #11498

Added some more pics:

Good clean racing!

Neal Agran giving the track intro talk with the big screen TV provided by Bennington Motorsports:

Ray Freundt and the guys goofing off in "class"

The Benninton Motorsports crew in the mad dash to change tires before the National Championship Race.

Last years National Champion David Dirks (P4 this year)

The new National Champion - in an exceptionally nicely turned out 944!

Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 944 Spec Nationals Highlights 12 years, 7 months ago #11499

Here's the excerpt from the go racingTV.com interviews that Neal referred to:

Tyler Palmer, from California, took the win in Spec 944 (Porsche) in his No. 4/Porsche 944. Eric Kuhns, Illinois, in his No. 80/Porsche 944 finished second with Neal Agran, Illinois, coming third in his No. 84/Porsche 944.

“It rained as soon as the race started,” Palmer said. “We decided to put on rain tires, and we had mixed conditions. We had a caution on the track and that brought the field back together, and I was able to keep the lead and take the win. I want to thank Mobile 1, Snap-On Tools, Graphics Plus, NASA and my mom and dad.”

“The race started crazy,” Kuhns said. “I got lightly tapped and spun in the First Turn. I managed to recover and pass a lot of great competitors. At the end, everything bunched up,we had a pass and a repass for second on the last lap – that is racing! I want to thank my wife most of all. I also want to thank Bennington Motorsports.”

“Unbelievable,” Agran said.. “I have had the worst week imaginable. I broke an axle on the first lap of the first qualifying race after starting from pole and finished last. I had some axle problems this week. I started today dead last, didn’t make it to the warm-up this morning and still made my way up to third. Unbelievable. I want to thank Bennington Motorsports. They prep my car. It is consistently the best prepped and fastest 944 out here.”

"Axle Problems" - LOL. Neal had a hellish week and one hell of a race.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds