Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Does this frame rail look normal?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Does this frame rail look normal?

Does this frame rail look normal? 16 years ago #1111

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
If I remember correctly, the passenger side frame rail is normally supposed to be at a little bit of an angle, but I'm thinking that my encounter with the wall at Gateway moved it in a bit more. Several things seem to be shifted over towards the driver's side a bit now (hood latch, headlight mechanism was jammed, passenger side bumper shock is at an angle, etc).

The white circle in the pictures below shows where the rail kinks a little bit. When I run my hand over the area, I can tell that the top of it is raised a little, and the side seems dented in. I just need to know if this is how it's supposed to be or not, before I "correct" it with my truck...

Thanks
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:Does this frame rail look normal? 16 years ago #1112

• dmdirks
Weston,

I checked mine tonight and it's not bent like that, nor does it have a "dent" on the top. The dent on the top does seem to indicate distortion of that rail, unfortunately. Sounds like a little yank with the truck might do the trick...
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region

Re:Does this frame rail look normal? 16 years ago #1115

Yeah,
I think the bulge in the top is clear sign of an issue.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Does this frame rail look normal? 16 years ago #1120

It does look like a small buckle, and it fits with the forces of that impact, but as it's in front of the suspension, it may not be critical to have back perfect. I would take the car to be checked at a frame shop. If the suspension mounting points are a all good, then it's a minor issue.

Bummer we had to invite you guys to a track with so many walls. I hadn't been there before, would have to think hard about going back. Miller should be more "safe",at least.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Does this frame rail look normal? 16 years ago #1121

Sterling Doc wrote:

Bummer we had to invite you guys to a track with so many walls. I hadn't been there before, would have to think hard about going back. Miller should be more "safe",at least.

Those walls weren't so bad, here's where I run for fun (Sandia)
www.swms.org/video.htm
I think the banked, CCW nature of Gateway is what did me(and Dave ?)in. I hope to get a chance to go back.

....and now back to your regularly scheduled bent frame rail thread.....

Re:Does this frame rail look normal? 16 years ago #1122

• Philé
  • Junior Racer
  • have your people call my people.
if it were Chuck's car i'd say it looks normal...

(ducking)

;-p
philé
_____

菲立普
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds