Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Best method for measuring head while installed?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best method for measuring head while installed?

Best method for measuring head while installed? 12 years, 6 months ago #12122

I read the factory tech manual so I get the general idea and I have a 6" digital caliper...what is the method the series uses for measuring with the engine in the car? What tool works best?

Per the tech manual it appears you are to measure on the front but with the engine in the car isnt the waterpump blocking that? The spec rules state removing the intake will allow access?

Will all 4 corners of the head yield the same measurements?

I tried it out on my new engine (on stand) last night and my calipers dont really fit that well, I had to use a straight edge on top and I got a measurement on the right rear, I redid it multiple times and its legal but as I was doing it I figured there had to be a better/more accurate way.

Thanks,
Sam
85.5 944 Spec #51 - Midwest
86 951
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by SamGrant951.

Re: Best method for measuring head while installed? 12 years, 6 months ago #12123

there is space right near the waterpump to touch both surfaces. Best method is a straigh edge on the head surface and then calipers between the straight edge to the top of the block.

If the head is flat all locations will be the same. However the front is most accessable. I have photos here
Attachments:
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by joepaluch.

Re: Best method for measuring head while installed? 12 years, 6 months ago #12135

Thanks Joe!
85.5 944 Spec #51 - Midwest
86 951

Re: Best method for measuring head while installed? 12 years, 6 months ago #12143

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Yes thanks. It's good to know.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds