Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

new build questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: new build questions

new build questions 12 years, 6 months ago #12163

I am starting the build of my 84 944 to use for spec racing next year. I have few questions:

What parts can I use from a 944 turbo 8v? What is the advantage? What are the most common modifications for an early low compression motor?

Thanks
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: new build questions 12 years, 6 months ago #12166

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Welcome to the madness. The rules are listed here if you don't already know
www.nasaproracing.com/rules/944_spec_rules.pdf
How far along are you with your build?
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: new build questions 12 years, 6 months ago #12167

Welcome! Great to see another Spec build in process. You find a lot of help, and good information here. Take some time to look through the build threads, the tech area, and the Spec rules - it will be very helpful, and answer a lot of questions. If you still have questions after looking through those areas, post it up here.

Turbo parts, are for the most part, excluded, with a few exceptions, such as valve springs (which were jsut allowed this year). Look in the rules for details.

Where are you located?
How about a name?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: new build questions 12 years, 6 months ago #12168

Sorry, name is Fred and I am in Columbia, SC. My friend just got his comp license this past weekend with his spec944 that we built last winter. I have enjoyed helping him and being a good friend, he let me drive it in some DEs, so we found a 84 out in the woods near Savannah, GA for $500 a couple of weeks ago. It is in pretty good shape even though it has been sitting for 4-5 years. The plan is build it over the winter and hopefully hitting the track by June.

I have been reading the forums which are definitely full good information.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: new build questions 12 years, 6 months ago #12176

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
I'm in Charlotte. I found a great roll cage guy here. He got laid off from a NASCAR team. So eager to work. Send me a message if you want his contact info if you want it My car is about 80% complete. So I guess 50% to go. Would be further along if I didn't change my mind on everything. come on up and check out my car...
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by seafeye.

Re: new build questions 12 years, 6 months ago #12188

Turbo parts are not allowed in 944 spec for the most part. The exceptions are as follows.

Turbo radiator
Turbo oil cooler and oil filter housing.
Turbo valve springs (to be published for 2012) - no performance gain

There are other parts that can be used, but only because they identical to the non turbo parts. For example you can use the Turbo cam because the Turbo uses the same cam as 83-85 non turbo cars. You can also use early offset (1986) turbo rear suspension arms. Again because these also came on 85.5 and 86 944 and 924S models.

Any part that starts with a 951.xxx part number is Turbo part. Some are shared on the non turbo cars and if so are legal. Most however are not.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds