Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Shaved or unshaved for first set.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Shaved or unshaved for first set.

Shaved or unshaved for first set. 12 years, 4 months ago #12452

• vpk944
  • Comp School
I think I know the answer to this question, but would your first set of Toyo's for a new build be shaved or unshaved? I have one old set with 50% tread that were my 944 Cup rain tires? Also, where do you guys prefer to order them from. I would rather get them from someone that supports the series than save $10 per tire.

PS. I'm in the Atlanta area.

Thanks

Re: Shaved or unshaved for first set. 12 years, 4 months ago #12458

Shaved. They last just as long and are much faster. The only exception is if you expect a lot of rain and need a dual tire.

I'm not sure any tire vendor sponsors the series. Toyos Only (now Trackfast Motorsport) seems to be the most common source but I don't know for your area (he's in AZ).

Re: Shaved or unshaved for first set. 12 years, 4 months ago #12467

• vpk944
  • Comp School
Thanks for the response. I will get a shaved set. Could you provide some insight on cold and hot pressures. I've been running Hoosiers for so long that I have no idea what an RA1 should be set at.

Thanks

Re: Shaved or unshaved for first set. 12 years, 4 months ago #12468

vpk944 wrote:
I think I know the answer to this question, but would your first set of Toyo's for a new build be shaved or unshaved? I have one old set with 50% tread that were my 944 Cup rain tires? Also, where do you guys prefer to order them from. I would rather get them from someone that supports the series than save $10 per tire.

PS. I'm in the Atlanta area.

Thanks

I only start with shaved RA-1's. Shaved to 4/32. If get them full tread I plan to use them for rains. This happens if the forecast calls for rain and am sort of down on tread depth.

I have found that 8/32 RA-1 are slow. Very slow in fact. If shaved the are faster much sooner in their life. I often figure 12 heat cycles on Full tread to make sure the are in thier prime and maybe 3-6 for 4/32 shaved tires. I have found no difference in how many heat cycles I get from the tires and both are just as fast when worn down.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Shaved or unshaved for first set. 12 years, 4 months ago #12469

944Racer72 wrote:
I'm not sure any tire vendor sponsors the series. Toyos Only (now Trackfast Motorsport) seems to be the most common source but I don't know for your area (he's in AZ).

Byran at Track Fast has been the Toyo Guy at Nationals for at least the last 3 years and been supporting us in Arizona for 10 years now. He does ship tires and I highly recommend him. He is a small outfit and has been doing alot of cross country travels so call his cell for the fastest response.

As for pressures cold pressures are 30-33 psi with hot target of 36-38 psi. Beyond this you will need to let your preference determine. Just remember these tires do not stick like hoosiers and to be fast will need some sliding around.

Track Fast Motorsports
Bryan Shackelford
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
(602) 252-3301 Shop
(480) 421-8270 Mobile
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 12 years, 4 months ago by joepaluch.

Re: Shaved or unshaved for first set. 12 years, 4 months ago #12475

I agree with Joe's hot tire pressures, generally my car is best on the low side of that ~ 36psi or so. Toyos are a lot more fun to me (sliding around) than the Hoosiers were and they last a long time. You will like them once you adjust to the style.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds