Username Password: Remember me

Removing Cam Gear - '88 2.5 na
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Removing Cam Gear - '88 2.5 na

Removing Cam Gear - '88 2.5 na 11 years, 3 months ago #15022

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Does anyone know how to remove the cam gear off the end of the camshaft on an '88 2.5L?

The service manual and parts katalogs show a bolt holding it on, but mine does not have that bolt in the end of the shaft. Mine has a small bolt with an 8mm head, that I have already removed. Here is picture:

88_2.5_Cam_Gear.jpg

Thanks!

Re: Removing Cam Gear - '88 2.5 na 11 years, 3 months ago #15023

You have to remove the small set screw that looks like it is already out or broken (please tell me it is out). The black piece on the end is a tight slip fit, but will actually slide out with a little PB Blaster and a twisting action. Once the black piece is out, you will see the $2.75 bolt that once cost me $1000 when it backed out on my '83 - bent all 8 valves.

Re: Removing Cam Gear - '88 2.5 na 11 years, 3 months ago #15025

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Yes.. set screw has been removed..

and ... yes, you are right.. that slip fit black thingy came right out.
and ... yes, I finally have to break down and buy that set of triple-square bits!

Thanks Michael, for the help! sorry about that $1000 bolt.. I'll remember that when I'm putting it back together
Last Edit: 11 years, 3 months ago by karbuf. Reason: type

Re: Removing Cam Gear - '88 2.5 na 11 years, 3 months ago #15026

That bolt should be red "loctited" in. You need to hit the head of the bolt to wake it up before you try to remove it.

Good luck

Re: Removing Cam Gear - '88 2.5 na 11 years, 3 months ago #15029

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Q: what size triple-square bit does that take? And is it the same size head as the flywheel bolts?

Re: Removing Cam Gear - '88 2.5 na 11 years, 3 months ago #15039

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Having just done this job, I can give a few pointers.

First off, I don't remember what size triple square it is. I managed to find a 4 size pack of triple square drivers at the local parts house and it contained what I needed for both this job and the CV joints.

Secondly, as said before, wake the threads up first by inserting the triple square bit into the bold head and tapping it with a heavy hammer a few times. You don't want any part of the bolt stripping and this helps that somewhat.

Third, have a second person help you and use a 3' or longer breaker bar. The more leverage you can get the better. Have the second person focus on keeping the triple square firmly seated and parallel to the bolt. This will also help prevent a stripped bolt head.

Lastly, replace with a new bolt since this bolt stretches after being torqued.

Go slow when trying to loosen. I referred to Clark's garage for specific details on the process as well as rennbay/pelican/944online for further tips and pointers.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds