Sunroof Delete Clairification
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sunroof Delete Clairification

Sunroof Delete Clairification 11 years, 2 months ago #15301

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Guys I have a sunroof car and am fabricating an aluminum panel to mold into the roof. My question is on the following clause in the rules: 'Roof support structure on sunroof cars may be modified to match a non-sunroof configuration.'

I am not planning on welding a non-sunroof roof onto my car so how much of the inner support structure can be removed? I dont have a non-sunroof car to use as a template. Looking at the inside roof area I am guessing that there is no support on the non-sunroof cars, only the outer skin? I would love some pics or detailed explanation of what I can remove.

Beyond the weight savings I want the room to push up the cage as much as possible and a lot of that structure, especially along the side door area is in the way.

Thanks!!
Old Racer!

Re: Sunroof Delete Clairification 11 years, 2 months ago #15305

If no one has pictures easily available i can get some tonight. I did a sunroof delete conversion on my other car(SP2/Cup) last year. It's pretty easy, the problem is finding a roof for a decent price.
The supports that stay in place are the box section that runs up the A pillar to the B pillar as well as the box section that supports the windshield, that the sun visors originally mounted to. Everything else can be cut off. When I did my conversion last year I did not worry about saving the roof that was on my car so I'm not sure how easy it is to remove just the sunroof support structure.

Re: Sunroof Delete Clairification 11 years, 2 months ago #15307

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
That sounds like exactly what I need to see. If you could provide those pics, that would help a lot. I know I am going to have a tough time with the thick glue they use to insulate the metal structure but I am willing to give it a shot.

I am forming the aluminum panel on an English wheel to get the curvature to match the roof line so it should look correct. I intend on making it so with a pull of two latches the panel will pop out as an emergency exit. It will be siliconed in so it is not intended to be used unless I am having a really bad day. That being said it will be painted with the car (even the silicone bead so it should look like a solid roof.
Old Racer!

Re: Sunroof Delete Clairification 11 years, 2 months ago #15308

I'll get those pics tonight. Let me know how it comes apart. I'm almost at that stage with my car.

You may be better off with something more like a paintable seam sealer instead of the silicone if you want to paint over it. Silicone may affect your paint and cause 'fish eye' in it, depending what kind you are using.

Re: Sunroof Delete Clairification 11 years, 2 months ago #15309

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
If I get it right, the sealer will only be 1mm wide around the perimeter of the panel. You are correct that it should be a paintable sealer not strait silicone for sure.

Thanks in advance for the pics!
Old Racer!

Re: Sunroof Delete Clairification 11 years, 2 months ago #15353

Finally got those pictures. I've also cut the support off my Spec car today. It weighs 4lbs,so probably not worth it for some drivers. The extra head room is nice. I've scratched my helmets on the supports before.
Last Edit: 11 years, 2 months ago by Heavymetal924S.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds