exhaust support
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: exhaust support

exhaust support 10 years, 5 months ago #16810

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Hey guys,

The first time I had my car out on the track, the exhaust broke at the collector, at one of the welds.

I disconnected the rubber hangers on the muffler and the whole thing fell right down. So it was not supported anywhere along the pipe. Just at the header and the muffler.

How many supports should it have? I have not gotten under the car yet (I plan to do that this week) to see if there's any hangers welded in that I can bolt the pipe back up to so it can have some more support.

Thanks to another 44 spec racer, I got a nice collector and bypass pipe, so a little welding and that part should be good.

Now to learn how to use my dad's old arc welder.....

Re: exhaust support 10 years, 5 months ago #16812

Download PET from Porsche to see diagrams of all the major systems:

www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice...ginalpartscatalogue/

If you search around, you can find the factory manuals online as well.

I know there is at least one U-shaped bracket for the exhaust that hangs from the torque tube. There may be 2 and possibly others but mine is so far from stock that I don't remember any more. I think I have some of those torque tube hangars if you need them.

Re: exhaust support 10 years, 5 months ago #16813

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
There should be two bolt on U - bolt type hangers (with rubber connector) in addition to the hangers at the rear of the muffler. The PET will show them. Both bolt to the Torque Tube. One after the collector and before where the Cat. would be and the other after where the cat would be and before the rear suspension. Hope that helps.
Chuck
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes

Re: exhaust support 10 years, 5 months ago #16814

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Are these weld-in exhaust hangers or just the u-bolt variety?

Yes, I could use a couple! Let me know how much you want for them.

Thanks,

Gino
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: exhaust support 10 years, 5 months ago #16815

Let me see what I've got this weekend. I would only want $ for shipping - I just keep stuff like that around because I don't throw anything away. My wife loves it

Re: exhaust support 10 years, 5 months ago #16828

• Gino230
  • Comp School
Well, I got the exhaust fixed up and got it bolted in.

I'm missing all of the exhaust support hardware. The u-bolts, hangers, etc. I found the parts but they come to over $150 for both sets of u-bolts, the pipe hangers, rubber mounts, etc.

If this was chump car I'd go get some plumber's strap and be done with it, but this IS a Porsche......

I was thinking of going to the boating store and working out something with some stainless hardware from there. It wouldn't be rubber mounted, though.

Thoughts?
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds