Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Brake pads
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brake pads

Brake pads 10 years, 2 months ago #17301

I was planning on talking to Jason at Andrew Racing, but wanted to get some feedback.

I am currently running Hawk DTC60 (front) and Blue (rear). Wear seems to be equal, however, I had noticed some fade at CMP, which is harder on brakes. Also when threshold braking I feel the rear getting lose.

We start the season at Barber and I have heard it is very hard on brakes.

Any recommendations?
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: Brake pads 10 years, 2 months ago #17302

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Add front brake cooling ducts if you dont have them.
The rear pads can be trimmed by putting a 45 degree angle on the edge of the pad.
Experiment to see how much to remove.
Be sure you bleed the system every couple of weekends to get new fluid into the calipers.
Too much rear camber will give you a smaller contact patch at rear.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Brake pads 10 years, 2 months ago #17303

I thought about cooling for brakes, but I am using one foglight for air. (It was going through the bumper --- but got banned )

I think I am going to stay with the brake pad combo (DTC60/Blue) for now. I was using ATE, but am going to flush the system and change to Motul 600. I have been bleeding prior to every race weekend when I change the oil.

Some my issues are due to learning to drive a 944. They are not normal (in a good way). They get loose, give it gas - start tank slapping loosen wheel and she straightens out. I am just starting my second year and determined to provide some competition.

Thanks for the info

Fred
2014 - Year of the Tater
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports
Last Edit: 10 years, 2 months ago by FastTater.

Re: Brake pads 10 years, 2 months ago #17305

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Boy, I battled brake issues for a long time! I tried every pad/ fluid combo but either had no pedal after a short time, or rear lockup. I ended up going back to Hawk blues all round with Ate blue. Jim Foxx and I had to cut a good sized chunk out of the rear pads to help with lockup. All that helped a ton.

I also rebuilt my LSD which helped quite a bit. The car is much more stable under braking. I also concentrated on being smoother with my heel/toeing and smoother getting on the brakes. Not slamming them on but quickly and smoothly squeezing them. I don't run cooling ducts and don't feel the need for them but our tracks out here aren't particularly hard on brakes. Of course I try to just not use them at all

I haven't had brake issues in a while, not counting two bad master cylinders!
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds