(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fiberglass sunroof panel?

Fiberglass sunroof panel? 9 years, 3 months ago #19060

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
So in reading the rules:

An original sunroof car can run with all the mechanicals removed, it can be have the OEM sunroof panel molded in and made to look like a non-sunroof car. The internal metal structure for it can be removed, it can be lightened as much as desired etc... (it can also have a metal panel shaped and fitted and welded in too).

So why cant I buy an $80 fiberglass version which is oversized to take up the gap that was there for the gasket? The OEM is fiberglass too after all so what is the difference? The weight is virtually the same down to a few ounces.

I can do all the above as in the rules now but will be spending 20+ hours doing it or 2 hours with the $80 panel off e-bay.
Old Racer!

Re: Fiberglass sunroof panel? 9 years, 3 months ago #19061

joeblow wrote:
So in reading the rules:

An original sunroof car can run with all the mechanicals removed, it can be have the OEM sunroof panel molded in and made to look like a non-sunroof car. The internal metal structure for it can be removed, it can be lightened as much as desired etc... (it can also have a metal panel shaped and fitted and welded in too).

So why cant I buy an $80 fiberglass version which is oversized to take up the gap that was there for the gasket? The OEM is fiberglass too after all so what is the difference? The weight is virtually the same down to a few ounces.

I can do all the above as in the rules now but will be spending 20+ hours doing it or 2 hours with the $80 panel off e-bay.

FYI: My brother just deleted the sunroof in our back up car with a sheet of aluminum.

We bought 41" by 26" piece of .030 aluminum from an aluminum shop for about $32 (Lowes and Home Depot don't carry large enough sheets), ran RTV sealant around the perimeter,and then riveted it in place.

Start to finish maybe 30 minutes? Think it saved about 11 pounds, too.

I have had the same set up in my main car for six months or so and it hasn't leaked at all.
NASA Southeast
944-Spec

Re: Fiberglass sunroof panel? 9 years, 3 months ago #19064

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
How to you form the aluminum to match the curve of the roof line? Or did you just leave it flat? I just think a flat panel on a curved roof look hokey and cheapens the class.

I would think that for such a cheap part with no real gain here or there we should be allowed to run a nicely pre-formed part that looks like it belongs there.
Old Racer!

Re: Fiberglass sunroof panel? 9 years, 3 months ago #19065

joeblow wrote:
How to you form the aluminum to match the curve of the roof line? Or did you just leave it flat? I just think a flat panel on a curved roof look hokey and cheapens the class.

I would think that for such a cheap part with no real gain here or there we should be allowed to run a nicely pre-formed part that looks like it belongs there.

We didn't shape it, just let the rivets form the aluminum to the contour of the roof. Originally tried it with .065 and could not form it to the roof.

Haven't had anyone tell me it looks hokey yet but you can be the judge, this was before it was painted:

NASA Southeast
944-Spec
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by Brian Evans.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds