Motor rebuild questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Motor rebuild questions

Motor rebuild questions 9 years, 1 month ago #19200

• sfoltz
  • Drivers Ed
Hello all,
I'm going to rebuild the motor in my '88 to get it ready for 944-Spec racing. It has 110K miles on it and it ran pretty good when I was driving it late last year. I've seen stock rebuild kits from a bunch of different places for a lot of different prices. What rebuild kit would you all recommend and why?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Re: Motor rebuild questions 9 years, 1 month ago #19201

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I've had really good luck with Lindsey racing! They sell everything you'll need and can do the machine work as well, mail order if necessary plus they have the expertise to tell you all the little things you will need to know.

Re: Motor rebuild questions 9 years, 1 month ago #19202

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Hi Sean, since you already have the 88 block and head you are off to a good start.
lindsey does have all the nessasary parts but keep in mind you can only use OEM Porsche pistons in the stock size. We are not allowed to bore our engines at all. So all you really need are therings and bearings and a local shop to rebuild the bottom end.
if you have not tore the engine apart yet then do a leak down and compression test. If both check fine you may be able to just do bearings. Pull the head and inspect for any serious scoring of the cylinder walls especially at the top of the stroke. Some blocks are not usable.
do not allow the engine rebuilder to hone the cylinders at all. Only a light scuffing with a Scotch Brite pad in needed. The cylinder walls are coated and a special process must be used that very few are aware of. All of my rebuilt engines have used pistons in them.
the important piece of the puzzel is the head. It must be done by a competent rebuilder like Milledge Or others. The setup of the valve train is important for HP and longevity.
be sure to ask lots of questions, we will answer them or send you in the right direction.

Charlie
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Motor rebuild questions 9 years, 1 month ago #19203

• sfoltz
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks for the info guys. I've been looking at getting the OEM rebuild kit from Lindsey Racing. I planned on a complete tear down so I can get a good look at everything, I'll be doing all the motor work and then sending out the head and crank to be worked on.

Re: Motor rebuild questions 9 years, 1 month ago #19205

• Manuel_M
  • Junior Racer
I generally use pelican parts for most of my supplies. I have not had an issue with quality and their prices are very reasonable. I got into a lot of might as wells when rebuilding my engine last year. Get the oil pan trap door from Lindsey.

Re: Motor rebuild questions 9 years, 1 month ago #19215

Make sure you put a trap door in the oil pan - Lindsey sells those along with a ring to help the oil pickup keep from running dry.

Be very fussy with crank tolerances, as well.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds