Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Parts Questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Parts Questions

Parts Questions 8 years, 6 months ago #19948

I have a 1984 car and the motor supposedly has approximately 80K miles on it if I remember correctly. It has been strongly recommended to me that I change the bearings in it before I put it on track, but I didn't think to ask if it was the main bearings, or the rod bearings or both. It was also strongly recommended that I add an oil pan baffle.

So do I have the right parts here?

Main Bearings

Rod Bearings

Oil Pan Baffle

I have the suspension kit from Paragon as well, but didn't think to get any bushing which I should have known I would need. Is this kit worth the money?

I have also been told that the drivers side spindle on the early cars is weak and prone to breaking due to being hollow for a speed sensor cable. Should I take care of that while I am at it? There is a good German car junkyard not from from Road Atlanta that might have one.

I am hoping to have the car on track in DE at Road Atlanta in December and ready to race early next year so any advice would be welcome.
NASA SE Grid monkey extrordinaire
'94 Honda Civic RIP
1984 944 work in progress

Re: Parts Questions 8 years, 6 months ago #19949

Just change the rod bearings, not the mains. The rod bearings get the most punishment.

That is the baffle you want, but check if your oil pan casting number ends in a "6R" or "8R". Yours should be a 6R, based upon the year. The baffles are different for the 2 pans, as the 8R holds a bit more oil.
#124, 1987 924S Spec racer
1988 Turbo S
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by KDJones2000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lucid Moments

Re: Parts Questions 8 years, 6 months ago #19950

Excellent, thank you.
NASA SE Grid monkey extrordinaire
'94 Honda Civic RIP
1984 944 work in progress

Re: Parts Questions 8 years, 6 months ago #19952

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
+1 on what Keith said.

Regarding the spindle, while they are weaker, I would not replace it yet. (BTW-I have broken a late spindle, but that is not usual). Get a spare when you find a good deal. You will need one specifically from an 85.5 - 86 if I remember correctly (someone correct me if I am wrong!) due to late offsets on 87+.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds