Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Fuel Cell Fill Question.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Fuel Cell Fill Question.

Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20231

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
I'm a little confused about fuel cells. In building a new car and want to install a small
Fuel cell, 8 gallons or a little larger. The rules say they can be used, but also state you must fill gas via the factory fill. Does that still ally to fuel cells? It will be more expensive, much harder to install and build the bulkhead if I have to plumb the factory fill.

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20239

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
1M Fan wrote:
I'm a little confused about fuel cells. In building a new car and want to install a small
Fuel cell, 8 gallons or a little larger. The rules say they can be used, but also state you must fill gas via the factory fill. Does that still ally to fuel cells? It will be more expensive, much harder to install and build the bulkhead if I have to plumb the factory fill.

I brought this up in the current rule change discussion as an error/discrepancy in the current rules that needs to be fixed. Ill re-iterate it again so we get some resolution.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20243

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
This rule was written this way by Eric because of someone that desired to race in the class but also wanted the added safety of the fuel cell. He had a cell constructed specifically to take the place of the original fuel tank (Saddle style and under the car) and it did indeed use the stock filler neck.
As stock tanks are largely available and very safe, I'd have to wonder the why you'd chose to build a car with a fuel cell? Even to be legal in other classes, it'd require some level of fabrication to comply with the CCR (and be separated from the drivers compartment).
I will look into this and try to resolve this issue with the rules. If you need a tank, I have an early tank sitting at my house you can have for free!

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20245

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
I completely disagree with the safety of the stock tanks. My stock tank destroyed my car and nearly erupted into a fireball last year. The car was not in an accident. it was just a hot July day in Memphis and the tank would not vent sufficiently. It expanded in size as the pressure rose which bent the frame, broke spot welds and nearly punctured itself on the transmission. I replaced all the rubber vent lines, fill hose, and the check valves in the filler neck (All new parts), yet it still happened with the new tank this year at Bowling Green. I can add pics when I get home tonight. Yes, they are cheap, easy to change and readily available; but I really don't wont to race a ticking time bomb. I in the process of building a new car and would like to put a cell in it.

I'm not doing this to be cool, different or I have money to waste, I believe it is needed.
Last Edit: 8 years, 4 months ago by 1M Fan.

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20246

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
My tank also expanded with pressure and I redid the vent lines to no avail. I drilled a hole in the gas cap and that solved it but even with a small hole I had gas running down the side of the car. Luckily my parts car had a vented gas cap and that solved my problem....I hope!

Re: Fuel Cell Fill Question. 8 years, 4 months ago #20249

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Interesting. Were these plastic tanks (late model) for both of you?
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds