Username Password: Remember me

Fuel Starvation in Right Turns
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fuel Starvation in Right Turns

Fuel Starvation in Right Turns 6 years, 10 months ago #21723

• Perryn59
  • Drivers Ed
Hey guys, I know this is a repeat topic but we're suffering with this problem at half tank and just can't seem to get rid of it. We've dropped the tank, replaced sender and screen, all looks great. Even added foam to slow down the sloshing but no help. And it's killing our fuel pumps, too. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Re: Fuel Starvation in Right Turns 6 years, 10 months ago #21724

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Is there something else that might be killing your fuel pumps? Wiring or grounding out somehow that kills them and once they start to go, you notice it in right hand turns?
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Fuel Starvation in Right Turns 6 years, 10 months ago #21725

• Perryn59
  • Drivers Ed
No, thanks, it only occurs when we let the fuel get low and have the starvation problem. As long as we keep plenty of fuel in the tank the pump lasts a long time.

Re: Fuel Starvation in Right Turns 6 years, 10 months ago #21727

• Perryn59
  • Drivers Ed
Good news, we replaced the screen (again) and problem solved! Thanks.

Re: Fuel Starvation in Right Turns 6 years, 9 months ago #21754

• tcomeau
We have a late 944 that cuts out AFTER hard right hand turns. If I slide the car, it won't happen, but if I let the car roll up and take a set, it cuts out. Again, this is after it experienced the G's. It seems like the fuel is starving, in the turn, which decreases pressure to the fuel rail, then it comes back on line when the chassis is flat. Full power after that. I'm looking for a wire that's shorting while swinging? I noticed that the tank sender is missing it's rubber skirt near the top, but there's no way that could block the whole tank strainer. I've heard of a battery positive cable to the starter wearing thru its insulation and grounding on the clutch bell housing. THAT could happen during G's, but it should be DURING the G's, not shortly thereafter.

Also, we've had guys experiencing tank expansion / pressurization because they deleted the heat shield over the muffler to save weight. Gotta have it in place. One plastic tank was expanding so bad it jammed the shifter linkage after about 20 minutes on the track.

Will do more troubleshooting / testing at the Autocross tomorrow.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: Fuel Starvation in Right Turns 6 years, 9 months ago #21755

• tcomeau
Also, had a customer with late plastic tank that had damage from jacking up the car on the bottom of the gas tank!! It deformed the bowl inside the tank and popped off the lid to the bowl. That could cause starvation.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds