Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Suspension DIY Questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Suspension DIY Questions

Suspension DIY Questions 15 years, 6 months ago #2578

I've read about "tabs" welded to the torsion bars to make adjustment easier. Did I read that correctly and if so, everyone here is trying to figure out where the tabs would go and how they would help.

We have the RE Delrin bushing set. The trailing arm bushings (RE_MC2550-D) will work if you remove material from each side of the Delrin. We epoxied them in the trailing arm (with the steel insert in place) then removed the steel insert after the epoxy dried, measured it, then used a belt sander to take the Delrin thickness down about 0.015 less than the insert. The nice thing here is that we were able to make the Delrin bushing nearly perfect in thickness and we were able to get it just loose enough to move without binding. It also helps to clean the mounts on the cross-member (?torsion tube?).

We have a major bind between the outer spring plate bushing (RE_MC3000) and the aluminum outer torsion tube mounts. Will get to that tomorrow.

How do you guys figure out the initial position of the spring plate? Maybe a better question would be: How much does the rear wheel droop when you jack up the car (assuming 30mm torsion bars and OE or non-binding bushings)? If you can tell me the latter, I can figure out the rest.

How much shock travel do you run or how much room is there between the OE rubber stop on the trailing arm and can that stop be modified?
512 707-8869

Re:Suspension DIY Questions 15 years, 6 months ago #2579

I don't have pictures but we weld a 1"x1" metal tab onto the big end of the Tbar.

initial rear placement is real close to where the bottom shock mount bolt is even with the shock full extended.

after the tab is welded on you can reindex the swing arm in about 2-4 minutes.

Re:Suspension DIY Questions 15 years, 5 months ago #2580

Remember the buzzard from the Bugs Bunny show in the '70s.

"Duhhh...huh, huh...which way did he go, which way did he go?"

I'm having a buzzard moment Chuck. Did you pop the cap off the end of the torsion tube? That's the only way I could see the tab if I welded one in place.

Would you say the rear suspension runs right in the middle of the shock travel the way you have your car setup (nearly full shock extension at full droop).

What about the rubber trailing arm stops. I guess that's a question for Joe.
512 707-8869

Re:Suspension DIY Questions 15 years, 5 months ago #2584

yes, pop the cap off the end. I have never looked at shock travel. I run the car as low as I dare (about 4.5" at the rocker) then run it near level front to back.

Full droop is real close to full shock extension. the late cars 87/88 I would say full droop is 3/4 " more than full shock travel.

Re:Suspension DIY Questions 15 years, 4 months ago #2940

SvoChuck wrote:
I don't have pictures but we weld a 1"x1" metal tab onto the big end of the Tbar.

initial rear placement is real close to where the bottom shock mount bolt is even with the shock full extended.

after the tab is welded on you can reindex the swing arm in about 2-4 minutes.

Oh please, oh please, oh please can I get some pics or more elaboration on this setup?
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Suspension DIY Questions 15 years, 4 months ago #2955

dirks post that pic here...
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds