Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Anyone interested in early custom harnesses?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Anyone interested in early custom harnesses?

Anyone interested in early custom harnesses? 15 years, 4 months ago #2988

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
Well, I'm finished with the harness for my project! I also measured all the lengths so I can make more if anyone is interested. This replaces the factory body harness for use in a spec car. It is wired for:
Brake lights
Fuel Pump
Tach
Oil pressure (both gauge and idiot light)
Engine temp
Radiator fans
windshield wipers
Engine Run & Start.
Main power

The entire harness weighs in at just under 1 pound.

-Nick
Last Edit: 15 years, 4 months ago by many944s.

Re:Anyone interested in early custom harnesses? 15 years, 4 months ago #2989

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I maybe interested in this myself. I was going to just trace wires and remove one by one. Would this include plugs so it is literally plug and play or would we need to cut plugs and resolder wires?
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Anyone interested in early custom harnesses? 15 years, 4 months ago #2990

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
Tomorrow I will be crimping the pins for the connector.
I am using an 11 pin AMP twist-lock connector. The connector has 4 high current pins in the center (for main +12, starter, rad fans, plus one for expansion) surrounded by smaller pins for the other accessories.

If I were to provide one for someone else, I would use the same AMP connector, and send the mating connector along with pins and a wiring map explaining which wires on the engine harness to tap for oil, tach, temp, coil, fuel pump, start, main acc. power, etc.

That way all you would need to do is cut out the old harness, crimp on the pins, insert them into the connector, and plug in the custom harness.

I've pulled all of the remaining engine harness to the engine side of the firewall opposite the battery (funny, this is where they put the fuse and relay pannel on late models... Hmm) Anyway. I have opted on keeping the DME relay setup, as I feel it adds a little more safety. If the engine stops running, so does the fuel pump. Beats the hell out of having an accident and spraying gas everywhere! Here you can see all that remains of the original harness, with the custom loom coming up from the steering column.

-Nick
Last Edit: 15 years, 4 months ago by many944s.

Re:Anyone interested in early custom harnesses? 15 years, 4 months ago #2995

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
Lets try this again:

Re:Anyone interested in early custom harnesses? 15 years, 4 months ago #2996

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Sounds very interesting ..... Keep going !
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Anyone interested in early custom harnesses? 15 years, 4 months ago #2998

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I agree with keeping the DME relay as to shut off fuel pump when power is cut to the DME. I'd create a writeup for those of us interested in this as to how to go about removing and installing the new wiring harness. Would you require a core charge (send in old harness) too?
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds